PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of even more clutches...eek

Fetch
12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm really worried about how late my clutch engages, in between the few inches of dead space when you first push the clutch down & from the floor up, there is at the most 1 inch of movement in the pedal that I get grab.

I'm not going to be able to do the job myself due to various circumstances (The only time I have free time & a garage to work in is when I am working full time), so I am trying to find out when I should have it done.

I can take a picture of inside the viewing window if that would help somebody really give me a good estimate on how much I've got left on this clutch.

Anybody near northern Illinois want to drive my car & tell me how much is left on the clutch? lol

filip00
12-26-2006, 06:43 PM
well, i drive a 525i 24v, late '90., and i had to reinstall clutch, because it was already wasted when i bought the car. i bought the SACHS kit, and the self leveling clutch works perfect. it grabs when the pedal is about ond one third of the way to be released. also, when depressing, it starts to go hard when pressed 1 inch.

now one question, so i don't open a new thread immediatelly.....that was all perfect, but like a week ago, i felt the play expanded from one inch to at least 3 inches! what's the problem? driving is fine, no problem with where it gets the clutch or how it drives. does it have anything to do with cold weather?

Fetch
12-27-2006, 07:56 AM
bump....anybody.....?

nizmainiac
12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
is it slipping yet?

Qube
12-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Take that picture :)

Fetch
12-27-2006, 04:45 PM
is it slipping yet?

not at all as of this morning

Fetch
12-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Take that picture :)

I'll try that

nizmainiac
12-27-2006, 05:13 PM
the reason i ask if its slipping is because its quite hard to tell from a side veiw just how much the friction plate has left on it, i say this because earlier this year i had to do an engine change on my 525, i knew the clutch plate on the original engine was good, and when i pulled the motor out and had it side by side with the one that was going in, in its place, the thickness of the clutch plates looked to be the same, but when i pulled it apart not only was it stuck to the flywheel but the friction material was pretty much on the rivets,good job i had a look really, the original plate had much more left on it, so you can never tell

Fetch
12-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Ok, here are the pictures......They are bad pictures due to the whole under the car thing, I can't make anything of them either way...

Click here for a bunch of them, see what you can make out (http://shutan.net/images/bmw/trans)

Here are two of the pictures:
http://shutan.net/images/bmw/trans/100_0099%20(Large).JPG

http://shutan.net/images/bmw/trans/100_0088%20(Large).JPG

Fetch
12-27-2006, 06:25 PM
http://shutan.net/images/bmw/trans/labled.JPG

Is the sliver of different looking metal the actual clutch friction material?

nizmainiac
12-27-2006, 06:50 PM
the fiction material is brown in colour, and it is really hard to tell just how much you have left on your plate, its just as hard when you,ve got two motors together side by side to tell which one's the better without unbolting the pressure plate, i would leave it until you notice that its slipping

Fetch
12-27-2006, 07:02 PM
the fiction material is brown in colour, and it is really hard to tell just how much you have left on your plate, its just as hard when you,ve got two motors together side by side to tell which one's the better without unbolting the pressure plate, i would leave it until you notice that its slipping

Ok

Can you or anybody else see the friction material at all in my crummy pictures?

I most likely will leave it, it's just that I don't want it to start slipping at a really bad time for me, financially & schedule wise.

So for example, if it was determined that it doesn't have much life left on it, I would have the clutch replaced during the time I'm at college, when I don't even need the car.