PDA

View Full Version : Umm wtf? (dinan)

Boone.Msi
12-26-2006, 01:43 AM
http://www.dinan540.com/MODIFICATIONS/modifications.html

The replacement intake manifolds feature larger diameter "runners" for improved engine efficiency at higher engine speeds (rpm), resulting in increased horsepower and torque. When installed in conjunction with fully matched Stage 5 Engine Software, the Cold Air Intake System, High Flow Throttle Body and Air Flow Meter, peak horsepower is increased to 321 @ 5700 rpm, for a 40 hp gain (with a peak gain of 48 hp @ 6500 rpm) over the stock rating; torque is up by 39 LB/ft @ 6000 rpm. The result is faster overall acceleration, with the car feeling noticeably more willing right up to the rev-limiter. Not available for cars produced prior to 9/98 because they already have larger intake manifolds, mass airflow meters and throttle bodys..

wouldnt you just snag an older Intake manifold then?

seems like unlikely performance gains. Especially the Dianan CAI on the shorter improved e39 540i intake... 11hp and 9trq? Wouldnt that be even higher on the m60?

Whats your thoughts on this?

Jehu
12-26-2006, 01:52 AM
that this means my old 4.0 stock is faster than the stock 4.4 e39?

GoldenOne
12-26-2006, 11:03 AM
well if they are going on the same principle that m52 guys do, its a compromise...the later m52 guys had smaller intake runners, so they used m50's (wider) to get better performance in the upper rpm range...but in doing soo they lost a lot of low end torque.

Jon K
12-26-2006, 11:17 AM
As GoldenOne said, its the same thing OBDII E36 cars do - they run OBDI M50 manifolds because of larger runners. The OBDI are proven to make more horsepower/torque at higher RPMs, but the OBDII manifolds make more torque at lower rpms. You have to give up something. I prefer the OBDI manifold and most M3 guys install it - its a nice setup.

BillionPa
12-26-2006, 12:39 PM
i wonder if we can design a variable intake manifold that changes shape according to engine speed......

grave77
12-26-2006, 02:34 PM
if you wanna spend that much, better you buy one upgrade Vortech supercharger. I guess it's the best and it's proven to gain upto +400HP

repenttokyo
12-26-2006, 06:36 PM
i wonder if we can design a variable intake manifold that changes shape according to engine speed......

venturi has made carbs that do that for many years.

BillionPa
12-27-2006, 05:25 AM
yeah, but that doesnt work for a turbocharged fuel injected engine.

AngryPopTart
03-07-2007, 02:22 AM
You could do the same trick they did with the old Offy dual port intakes. The primary barrels had seperate runners which were very small to keep velocity high, the secondaries having their own runners just below the primary runners, which were larger. You could do the same thing on an injected car. The only difference is that fuel would come after the butterfly, instead of before as on a carbureted car.

So an intake with two sets of intake runners and ITB's on the secondary (larger) runners.

632 Regal
03-07-2007, 02:27 AM
in the drag racing world Offy has always slowed the pack. with a 530 go with the 540 inlet box first, document timer and speeds from 60-80 then test again with each mod and go from there, I will post any gains losses in the archives.

You could do the same trick they did with the old Offy dual port intakes. The primary barrels had seperate runners which were very small to keep velocity high, the secondaries having their own runners just below the primary runners, which were larger. You could do the same thing on an injected car. The only difference is that fuel would come after the butterfly, instead of before as on a carbureted car.

So an intake with two sets of intake runners and ITB's on the secondary (larger) runners.

winfred
03-07-2007, 09:04 AM
i think the 530 allready has the 540 air box but it's necked down with a rubber bushing into a small air mass meter, where the 540 the meter is the same size as the box outlet, make sure the air box doesn't have a plastic insert on the inlet side that make it look like it's sucking though a drinking straw

in the drag racing world Offy has always slowed the pack. with a 530 go with the 540 inlet box first, document timer and speeds from 60-80 then test again with each mod and go from there, I will post any gains losses in the archives.

acidfire52
03-07-2007, 11:11 AM

The Acura Legend had that starting in 1991. Had butterflys in the intake to change the length depending on engine speed.

632 Regal
03-07-2007, 11:49 AM
thats what I have, wonder how small they are on the 520s.
make sure the air box doesn't have a plastic insert on the inlet side that make it look like it's sucking though a drinking straw

bsell
03-10-2007, 02:23 PM
The Acura Legend had that starting in 1991. Had butterflys in the intake to change the length depending on engine speed.

Didn't the 928 (S4?) in the mid-80's introduce the 'flapper'? I remember going to Porsche engine school back then and the instructor making much hay over this but now I can't remember which engine...

Funny thing was, you could really feel it kick in if you went through the rev range slowly. I would hope this would not be the case with the newer designs.

Brian