PDA

View Full Version : 540 owners, does BMW have a TSB equivalent to TSB 120699000 for idle adjustment?

new540iowner
04-21-2004, 12:20 PM
I noticed from the E39 board that BMW has a Technical Service Bulletin for a 100 RPM idle increase adjustment through software programming for the M62 engine. According to the bulletin, customers complain that the engine almost stalls when using the power steering in shopping malls (closed throttle condition) and is even worse with automatic transmissions (higher load requirements). I have the exact same problem and want to know why BMW doesn't have a TSB for the E34 M60s? I dread steering the car through grocery store parking lots in my 94 540iA as the car sounds like a POS that has a huge vacuum leak (idle is around 450-500 RPMs). Once the engine operates at above 600 RPMs, everything is kosher.

DueyT
04-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Ummm...not to critique steering method, but I hate turning the wheel without some fwd or rearward movement. It's probably not going to break anything but there's a reduced/lower load on the steering system if you're rolling...even slightly.

Mind you, if you're idling at 450-500, something's wrong! Is your fuel pump OK?

Duey

Brandon J
04-21-2004, 01:50 PM
Ummm...not to critique steering method, but I hate turning the wheel without some fwd or rearward movement. It's probably not going to break anything but there's a reduced/lower load on the steering system if you're rolling...even slightly.

Mind you, if you're idling at 450-500, something's wrong! Is your fuel pump OK?

Duey
I agree on that note about rwd or rearward movement. It puts less strain on your powersteering. Remember how hard it was to steer non powersteering cars when parking? In the e39s it has the Clutch Delay Valve, CDV. I notice it can be a problem when parking because of the delayed clutch engagement. It has basically two stages, part engagement then all. So, when the driver is trying to make a smooth engagement, the clutch snaps in. It can literally stall the engine b/c the driver is usually unaware when it will engage. I have to rev the car a little all the time, even after driving the e39 for over 5 years. Of course this is easier on a manual. It will also be easier when I finally get rid of the CDV.

new540iowner
04-21-2004, 04:09 PM
And yes, every gasket, vacuum hose and everything short of a new engine has been checked and/or replaced (check the archives, I've been posting for almost two years now).

If BMW has a bulletin on the problem for the M62, chances are the problem came from the M60 since I don't recall a major design difference between the M60 and M62 aside from the obvious displacement.

Anyhow, if no one knows of a solution, maybe adjusting the baseline throttle valve opening would solve the problem.