PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Upgrade?

jjg43
04-21-2004, 10:49 AM
I have an 90 535im with 72,000 miles. I just purchased H&R sport springs, Bilstein sport shocks, RD sway bars, RD front tower brace, and Zimmerman cross drilled rotors. None of this has been installed yet and I have a couple questions. I want the PBR metal masters but I am wondering if they are too loud (should I think about the PBR deluxe instead). Also since the sway bars are adjustable, what setting should I use for the best handling? I have heard of people changing rear sub frame bushings. Is this definately necessary and how much $ and labor is involved? Also where can I find sub frame bushings? Should I change the rear shock mounts? Since I will have the car apart I want to know every liittle upgrade I should do. This is a daily driver and will very rarely be tracked (maybe never).

Thanks

mholbrook
04-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Before you put the Bilsteins in the car, make sure the bump stops are cut properly. Do a search about that or sell them and get Koni's for the front.

Do put in new rear shock mounts. Not much money. Get new Pitmann arms (dogbones) for the rear. The rear subframe mounts are pretty sturdy and I doubt they would be anywhere near bad on a car with that few miles.

Consider Mintex Red Box or C-Tech for your brake pads. Red are great for the street.

Start the sway bars on the softest setting and then try out each setting after a week of driving. Go soft, medium, hard, back to soft. That should give you an idea of where you want to be.

You should also change the upper control arms with Lemforder arms with 750 bushings. You should also check the center link and tie rod ends for replacement as well.

Finally, you should do this work yourself. It is time consuming but not that hard. In fact a lot of it is pretty ez and straightforward. You can do the front on one weekend or even one day, the rear another weekend or day. The control arms can be done on the front as well as any steering components.

Get a front end alignment when you are done.

Good luck,

Mike Holbrook
Spring Valley, CA
89 535im

632 Regal
04-21-2004, 05:59 PM
they have internal stops, I never tried the Koni's but have the Bilsteins in mine and am happy with them. I have the Bavauto springs which have dropped the car more than they said, probably cause I have the 8 Cylinder. Looks cool but where I live I could use that extra 3/4 inch of travel.