PDA

View Full Version : Idle problems... help!

halogen25
12-23-2006, 07:07 PM
My '94 525iT has major idle/surge/stalling issues. I first changed the ECM (disconnecting the battery to do so), which seemed to fix the problem, until it came back about a month later.

Just for the hell of it, I took out the battery to check its charge. After reconnecting the battery, the idle problem was fixed, but slowly returns over about a few weeks.

So now I disconnect my battery about once a month to "reset" the idle. Can someone suggest why this works and how I may solve the problem another way? I would prefer not to yank out the back seat all the time, not to mention reset the radio, sunroof, clock, etc, etc.

winfred
12-23-2006, 07:43 PM
probably has a vacuum leak or two that slowly piss off the computer, maybe compounded with another small problem like a slow 02 sensor or bad tune up, if you don't know how old the plugs and fuel filter are id change them plug#s fr7ldc bosch (formally the f7ldcr) aka 7402 or bkr6ek ngk aka 2288, and a fuel filter is pretty much a fuel filter, if the 02 sensor has much over 100k miles id change it as it may be costing you a mpg or two at best and worst screwing up the mixture with bad readings. common air leaks are the two lines coming out of the front of the valve cover, they rot off and hide under the intake