PDA

View Full Version : OT - Who has SNOW for Christmasukka?

SharkmanBMW
12-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Global Warming is a scary thing!

Here in the great white north (Montreal), we have had so much rain:(
NO SNOW anywhere! The weather is backwards these days! We usually have a few feet by now.

I heard the ski hill I go to has 5 runs out of 104 open (that was before yesterday and todays non-stop rain).

Last night we had freezing rain, cars off in the ditches all over, that blows as a X-Mas gift!
I made it home safe, I enjoyed the challenge, then again, I have AWD!

Happy Holidays to the Board of Old times, and the newbies!

So, who HAS snow for X-Mas???

JerseySi
12-23-2006, 05:48 PM
It's been cold here the last week, but pretty dry..
I say cold - it's only 5degrees C, warm for some people on this board! but it's been 12-15degrees pretty much the whole way through so far!
I want it to snow, but don't think it will - doesnt usually any more :(
Global warming sucks

nizmainiac
12-23-2006, 05:53 PM
snow? whats that then? the last time it snowed here in devon was 1969 i think, and then it lasted until may, the last time i saw a decent snowfall was in 1985 when i was a kid living in the midlands, we just don't see it down here anymore, and when we do get a few inches of snow everything seems to grind to a halt, why is that?

E34 530
12-23-2006, 05:53 PM
About 60 here in New Jersey today lol.

LunatiC
12-23-2006, 06:01 PM
Well for the past week or so, average temperatures here in Melbourne, Australia has been hovering around the 35ºC (95ºF) mark, which might not sound that bad, but it is when it's like that for days without rain and everything's dry as a bone.

There are huge bushfires here in Victoria in the alpine areas that have been burning for weeks now, the fires can't be extinguished as they are in non-accessible terrain so we have to wait until they burn out and try to contain the fires as much as possible.

Due to the size of the fire (which by the way the front line is about a 3 hour drive out of Melbourne) many mornings Melbourne wakes up to haze and smoke covering the skies, rendering the heavens in a freaky grey-red hue.

The odd thing is though, during the Christmas period there is weather predictions of snow!!!

It's going to be a cool 18ºC (64ºF) here for Christmas though, pretty far away from snowing, but cold here for this time of year nonetheless. Crazy weather!

GS535i
12-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Forcast for Nova Scotia is +12C for Xmas eve day, which is well above seasonal norms: this will be a rare green Xmas, for normally there is 10 - 40 cm of snow down.

Fetch
12-23-2006, 06:22 PM
40% chance of snow 'shower' on Christmas day for me!

We had a ton of rain over the past 2 days though.

Zeuk in Oz
12-23-2006, 07:06 PM
No snow (now that would be noteworthy in the middle of summer), but we have had about an inch of rain - our first real rain for over 6 months !
Wonderful ! :) :)

rickm
12-23-2006, 08:40 PM
70s last few days, 60 today and the same for Sunday. 50s on Monday. Mountains of North Carolina at 3' feet or so. We had flurries a few weeks ago, a couple of weeks ago snow at elevation (above me) closed schools for a day.

Myself, I like the warm weather. :) The last time it was warm going into Christmas Jan/Feb were absolutely miserable, we had a 2 week period were the temps didn't rise above 19F.

Nick.Hay
12-23-2006, 09:23 PM
I am in Tasmania, Australia.

Its the middle of summer here, and we have been known to have snow on Mount Wellington (google earth it or something...)!!

Its kinda out of character, but not really that surprising, the weather is known to be pretty fickle down here!!

Kalevera
12-23-2006, 09:36 PM

Its the middle of summer here, and we have been known to have snow on Mount Wellington (google earth it or something...)!!

Its kinda out of character, but not really that surprising, the weather is known to be pretty fickle down here!!
Man, I miss hobart.

Is there still that gigantic hole in the ozone that burns people to a crisp this time of year?

Dave M
12-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Found an internet connection in Nunavut (arctic) and, of course had to check in quick :D. I know its not exactly relavent, but seeing as most are having green/wet holidays, I thought I'd post an aerial shot of the northern landscape where I'm spending 2 weeks as well as the Ice (5' thick) on the lake next to the 'town'. Ive taken soem incredible blizzard (80km/h winds) photos, I'll share in the new years. Hey, look, its snow and Ice.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Tundra2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/IceFavThick.jpg

Cheers,

Dave M

632 Regal
12-23-2006, 11:28 PM
that looks cold!

Gayle
12-24-2006, 01:09 AM
Happy Holidays to the Board of Old timers, and the newbies!

So, who HAS snow for X-Mas???

Thanks Chris.

Now, at 10 pm, it is a chilly 53, but tomorrow we are forecast for 68. Another Christmas on the patio in shorts and a sweatshirt. No snow for us--just sunshine.

colo525i
12-24-2006, 03:00 AM
Got plenty of snow here in metro denver! Snowstorm on weds/thurs dumped 2 feet plus around here. It has also been on the cold side, about 10f cooler than usual. The roads are full of chunks and slabs of ice half broken by the traffic. Needless to say I won't be driving if i don't have to!

Zeuk in Oz
12-24-2006, 07:09 AM

Its the middle of summer here, and we have been known to have snow on Mount Wellington (google earth it or something...)

I've been on the summit of Mt Kosciuszko (Australia's highest peak) on Christmas Day when it has been snowing.

John B.
12-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Sunny & warm (mid 50s) here in Ct. today. No snow in the forecast & thats just fine with me. Definitely my kind of winter!

winfred
12-24-2006, 10:19 AM
no chance of snow here in loserana but it will probably rain and be in the low 50s, one nice thing the god damn new blower died so we have no heat again, merry ****ing christmas

Gayle
12-24-2006, 11:18 AM
no chance of snow here in loserana but it will probably rain and be in the low 50s, one nice thing the god damn new blower died so we have no heat again, merry ****ing christmas

Winfred--you ever thing of playing Santa Claus? With your cheery disposition, you would be a natural.

winfred
12-24-2006, 11:46 AM
beard is wrong color and not wide enough
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/beard.JPG

Winfred--you ever thing of playing Santa Claus? With your cheery disposition, you would be a natural.

markus
12-24-2006, 11:53 AM
maybe tommorow night, we havent had a white christmas in years.

CharlesAFerg
12-24-2006, 12:26 PM
Oh look, rain...

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/images/usa/oregon.jpg

Jehu
12-24-2006, 12:38 PM
No snow thank God here in New Hampshire.Thinking I'd preserve my Flywheel by not driving the 540 with a slipping clutch,i rented a car.They gave me a Pontiac G6.taking a highway on ramp yesterday i thought to myself I'll see what it takes to break traction on the wet pavement going around the curve.Knowing how the 540 preforms I've done that before and just gotten a little drift then correction and on this G6 lost it immediately and i ended up facing the wrong way on this blind curving onramp... freaking out because i declined their damage coverage i got it to stop just short of the guardrail but was aimed in the wrong direction and i thought making a three point turn would leave e me in the middle of the ramp too long so i just started driving up the wrong way flashing my high beams and blaring the horn till i made it to the grass and off-roaded to the other side and off. Not only is the car hideously ugly inside, its spastic on the road.The throttle doesn't respond to the gas pedal for a bout three inches the steering is hypersensitive.I felt if i sneezed hard i could roll the car.. The suspension is sloppy and while there is no vibration its just not at all a fun car to drive , same as pretty much every other American or Japanese car i've ever driven....

markus
12-24-2006, 01:09 PM
the only good car made by GM is the corvette. everything else is a POS.

Gayle
12-24-2006, 01:26 PM
No snow thank God here in New Hampshire.Thinking I'd preserve my Flywheel by not driving the 540 with a slipping clutch,i rented a car.They gave me a Pontiac G6.taking a highway on ramp yesterday i thought to myself I'll see what it takes to break traction on the wet pavement going around the curve.Knowing how the 540 preforms I've done that before and just gotten a little drift then correction and on this G6 lost it immediately and i ended up facing the wrong way on this blind curving onramp... freaking out because i declined their damage coverage i got it to stop just short of the guardrail but was aimed in the wrong direction and i thought making a three point turn would leave e me in the middle of the ramp too long so i just started driving up the wrong way flashing my high beams and blaring the horn till i made it to the grass and off-roaded to the other side and off. Not only is the car hideously ugly inside, its spastic on the road.The throttle doesn't respond to the gas pedal for a bout three inches the steering is hypersensitive.I felt if i sneezed hard i could roll the car.. The suspension is sloppy and while there is no vibration its just not at all a fun car to drive , same as pretty much every other American or Japanese car i've ever driven....

That's pretty scarey.

Jehu
12-24-2006, 01:31 PM
I had purposely tried it a few times in the 540 to learn how it responds but this Pontiac just kept sliding.I have my own insurance but i'd have had to pay the $500.00 deductable at least if i hit the guardrail or had a collision.