PDA

View Full Version : so hows the bmw scene in your area?

markus
12-23-2006, 01:07 PM
is it mosty newer 3s, X5s, X3s like around here? I very rarely see a nicely kept older bimmer here. I did see a nice white E28 lowered with some 17 inch racing dynamics wheels on it yesterday which was suprising. But mostly I see knackered E36s with gangsta wannabe kids driving them but their cars are a mess. I see on E34, a maroon 535i with stock painted bottlecaps and a crooked M5 badge on the wrong side. I cant wait till I have my E34 where I want it, Ill have the nicest one around. But are all the older bmws in your area just neglected POSs? And all the newer models are just driven by people who look like the never worked on a car in their life? I also hate when soccer moms with ML-class mercedes or an X3 put a soccer ball magnet or soemthing stupid like that on the back of their cars too. I also can always tell a first time bmw/merc owner by a vanity plate.

guinness
12-23-2006, 01:14 PM
I think my area is BMW heaven!! the big one around here is any newer 3 series, mostly driven by college kids with rich parents. I stopped by my indy today and he hade a nice white E34 525 for sale.

Fetch
12-23-2006, 01:18 PM
The E34s in my area are actually in pretty decent condition. I see a few older E28s that don't look so hot anymore.

Are people required to work on their car if it's a BMW?
99% of people who can afford brand new BMWs really don't want to even touch the thing if something is broken, that's not what they paid for.

How can you tell a first time BMW or Mercedes owner by a vanity plate??...That doesn't make sense to me

Jehu
12-23-2006, 01:18 PM
The newer smaller models predominate here around New England but I've actually seen a suprising number of E34's and E38's

markus
12-23-2006, 01:20 PM
because its cheesy and its trying to get other peoples attention "look at me! i have a new bmw" i duno its just soemthing i noticed. either way i hate vanity plates.

Rory525
12-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Most BMWs around here are the newer models , there are a million 320ds and x5 3.0ds.

Most e34s are just used as cheap transport, people dont really look after them that much as they are so cheap now. I hardly ever see an E28, if I do its usually a really well looked after enthusiast owner car.

Most e34s around are dirty looking and rusty... lots of 520s and 518s too. I like having an older car though, it gets attention because you dont usually see a very shiny 1991 e34 here. People often ask me about it at petrol stations etc.

Sam-Son
12-23-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm on Long Island about 30 minutes from the city so BMW's are more common than honda's

rickm
12-23-2006, 02:16 PM
I see a few E34s around here, there are a few that a pretty (a black one down the road, a green one I pass on the highway in the am and a silver one that looks identical to mine). There are also a few that are ratty, including a burgundy one with different colored doors and dents on every fender and a wagon that looks like it was at the Battle of the Bulge. There is a silver 525 here that's rebadged to looked like an M5.

Lots of 3 series, including a few "gangsta" cars. There is one near work that has some huge offset rims and neon, I want to shoot it to put it out of its misery but to each his own. :)

As for the other series, there are more than a few but to me 3 series are as plain as day. I guess we notice the E34s more since that's what we drive.

Dr. evil
12-23-2006, 02:30 PM
in my area i have to be careful what i do because i am the only one in town with a E34. Every once an a while i'll see an M3.

nizmainiac
12-23-2006, 02:35 PM
plenty of new ones and lots of e36's a couple of e30's , 4 850's, only 3 e34's including mine a 735 and a 635csi thats in much need of a lot of love, and i also forgot to mention the alpina b10 just up the road from me

JerseySi
12-23-2006, 05:45 PM
BMW scene in Jersey? there's loooooads of them!
there's probably as many BM's on the roads here as there are Vauxhalls.. Mostly new shape, quite a few X5's, but mostly 3series..
There's still a surprising amount of E34's on the roads over here, more than there are E30's now I think.. (Sadly my daily-drive white one is looking to be the roughest example over here at the moment too.. :s Ah well, it's going orange in the new year, that'l all change!)
Older than that and you're talking jst a few handfuls left, our constant salty air kills off a lot of cars, older BMW's included..
Most BMW owners over here are the 'typical' BMW owner mentioned above - back to the dealer for the slightest thing, too much money to throw around :lol: ).. Only 1 or 2 chavved (riced) examples too, both E36 4 doors thankfully, and there are a couple of decent looking E34's too :D

LunatiC
12-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Different areas of Melbourne have different BMW coverage. Toorak area (wealthy suburb) is full of E53 X5s and E60s, Brighton is full of E46 coupes and convertibles, and my area (Knox, far east) if you come across a BMW it would most certainly be an E36/E46 318i debadged.

I call these cars wanker-mobiles, as these wanker-types splash the cash for the badge, and don't care what BMW they get as long as it's a car with a roundell on it. They really give me the shits because they drive like they own the road and give us other BMW drivers a bad reputation on the road.

I don't see that many E34s in my area, and if I was to come across one it's always driven by some granny who doesn't know what she has. There is a guy that lives around the corner from me who has a friend who has an early model E34 (535i I think) who has seen me drive my E34 in the other direction once, he got quite excited and animated for some reason :P

BTW, a wanker is a name for one who masturbates, in Commonwealth English :D

zman-95-540i
12-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Just parked next to a nice maroon 840 today at the grocery. Lost of new and old bimmers around here.

Nick.Hay
12-23-2006, 09:29 PM
We have a Tassie BMW owners group, which has regular track days, treasure-hunts, and drives in the countryside.

As with most places, we have wanker-owners (who bought BMW as a status symbol), mostly in X5s or young punks in E30s. But there is also a few nice, genuine enthusiasts too. There is another guy in the club who loves E34 540i's and also has an E34 M5. He is really nice, and a genuine BMW nut, just like me!!

There are a few E60 M5s down here too, a couple of which have been coming along to club-days!! I'd love to hear one of them with a big, free-flow exhaust!!

Michael999
12-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Heaps of 318s around me, all E46, E36, and E30, nothing older or newer.
The E36 is the most common though.
Also lots of X5s, no X3s though.

Very few of the latest models around so far, the ones i have seen have been 318, 320, and X5.

5 Series are quite rare, e34s being the most common of the 5s that i see, most often 525s with the M20 and the no option package (no sunroof, no floodlights)

Gayle
12-24-2006, 12:09 AM
Yesterday I saw a gorgeous silver e24. Drove past me and parked in the next block. I was on my way to the hairdresser's (I'm a girl) and was running late.

Hmm, do I run up the block to the car and ask (1) what kind of muffler ya got (nice throaty rumble) (2) what kind of rims are those (never seen any like them) (3) how many miles (4) do you take it to sharkfest (5) do you do your own work on it.

Or do I try to not be too late for the hairdresser to avoid pissing her off since she can screw my looks for the next six weeks.

The owner was walking the other way so I headed on to the hairdresser and now I am still wondering about the answers to all my questions.

Took my own car in to the indy last week. He specializes in coupe restoration so his lot is always full of them. It is fun to look at their pristine interiors.

Oh yeah...So Cal is full of new bmws which over time turn into old, rust free bmws.

John B.
12-24-2006, 09:17 AM
No scene to speak of here in northeastern CT. as the Bimmers are few & far between.

jbraswell
12-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Lots of new stuff here. Lots of 18 year olds with e36 and e46 m3's.. I've only seen 2 nice e34's, both 540i's. A few nice e30's around. I always get the: "Oh, so daddy bought you a BMW, eh?" I take it as a compliment I guess, its funny how little people actually know.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-24-2006, 08:57 PM
On my daily drive to work i can see a few examples of 2002, E24, E28, E30, E31, E32, E34 on up the a brand new M5 or 645.

Most of the older cars are on good shape, a few cherry 2002s and old M5s & M6s. The E34s mostly look like complete stock daily drivers.

The ratty BMWs are usually E30s & E36s and a few E28 surf-mobiles.

filip00
12-24-2006, 09:05 PM
here in croatia, a lot of bmws are driven, both older and newer. older are what you could say neglected, while the newer ones are simply new...like a lot of e46's. x5's, e90's, e60's etc.

Alexlind123
12-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Lots of new stuff here. Lots of 18 year olds with e36 and e46 m3's.. I've only seen 2 nice e34's, both 540i's. A few nice e30's around. I always get the: "Oh, so daddy bought you a BMW, eh?" I take it as a compliment I guess, its funny how little people actually know.

I havent recieved such rudeness, but rather a surprising number of compliments. Maybe people just like me :p

CharlesAFerg
12-24-2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.bmwacaportland.com/
AND my subgroup from Portland...
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/pdxbmw/