PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Brake Pad light questions

rookedad
12-23-2006, 12:43 PM
We have a 98 528i with 105k mi. The brake pad light came on, is there a way to tell if it is the front or rear brakes, other than physical inspection?
Also showing, is a right taillight bulb indicator, although all the bulbs seem to be operating.
I changed the oil/filter and replaced the front pads, only one pad was close the one with the sensor. If I jump the 7 -19 post at the diagnostic plug, will that reset the brake pad and light bulb indicators along with the oil change indicator? Thanks Dan:)

winfred
12-23-2006, 12:51 PM
leave the key on a few minutes without starting it and the pad light should go out, the bulb sockets can get a little loose and sometimes having different bulbs on left and right can piss it off (nickel/brass bases), check the 3rd brake light too if i remember right it shows up as a bad right on the display

BMWCCA1
12-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Did you replace the pad-wear sensor?

gale
12-23-2006, 09:22 PM
You'll have to take the wheels off to inspect the pads, unless you have spoke wheels that are open enough to get in with an inspection mirror to do a visual. The brake pad wear sensors are on the inboard pad of the left front and right rear wheels, so you only have to take 1 or 2 wheels off to check the pad thickness. If the sensor message came on, you'll have to get a new pads & sensor(s). The message may go out temporarily but the last time mine wore thru the sensor, the message kept coming back every 15 minutes or so.

I was out of town the last time that happened to mine so I stripped the sensor leads and twisted them together just to make the annoying message go away, trusting there was still enough pad material to make it home, which there was.

With new pads & sensors, the message will go away by itself without any sort of formal reset. If you put new pads & sensors in it and still have the message, then there is a short or open connection upstream of the sensor that you'll have to look for. Trace where it goes thru the inner fender well until you find another socket that may be corroded & needs cleaning.

Edit: Oops, forgot to say welcome to the board. Cheers!

winfred
12-23-2006, 10:13 PM
bmw fixed that on the 96 and up cars, theres two ways of getting the light out, do a "new" srs reset, yes the air bag reset will clear the pad light, or let the car sit a couple minutes with the key on with all of the sensors in working order

With new pads & sensors, the message will go away by itself without any sort of formal reset.

rookedad
01-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the replies, I have been tied up with things, I'll check the rear pads and light bulbs today. Let you know what I find.

rookedad
01-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Okay, rear pads were okay and the pad light reset after leaving the key on[not running] for a few minutes. I had also checked and replaced the third brake light bulb, so that indicator also reset itself.
Couldn't reset the oil service indicator though, the Diagnostic connector had different contact locations then I was expecting to see. I was not positive which was the 7 hole[contact], so I will check more here tonight. Thanks Dan