PDA

View Full Version : Overkill?

Jehu
12-22-2006, 10:05 PM
So i think the Stage II detailed here (https://secure13.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=bimmerworl&BusType=BtoC&Count1=56255519&Count2=973395943&CategoryID=59&Target=products.asp) is one of the options other than factory original equipment to replace my clutch.There is no option listed for the E34 540 but the quote was in line with what they list for the E39 M5 i think.It would require a NEW Dual mass flywheel.The existing part would not work properly if merely resurfaced ( scuffed up or whatever is usually done if resuing the flywheel when replacing the Clutch) so the total job would probably come in somewhere over $2,000.00 and the OEM ,BMW factory quote was around $1,000.00 without a new Flywheel. As interesting as it sounds to me to have a one of a kind original custom built kevlar clutch in my car is this just out of proportion for this car? I'm just not really certain the car really needs that kind of overengineering. It's not that i can't really afford it or anything just wondering if its simply going overboard for no real purpose other than of course long life which i suppose is of value.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-23-2006, 12:26 AM
You can find a OEM replacement, and a flywheel for less.

A good machine shop can cut/resurface the flywheel if it's just glazed and not scored or blued.

Jehu
12-23-2006, 12:35 AM
For less than what? I am for the moment assuming all it actually needs is the clutch.That the Flywheel will be rehabbed and reused if i go with this shops ordering from BMW or whoever he orders the as he calls it "factory BMW" replacement clutch. If i should see something compelling in going with the Clutch Masters Kevlar build thru Bimmerworld they say that would need a new Flywheel.I didn't ask why but i can guess that from what i was told about the Kevlar being extra grabby that using anything but a new flywheel would result in the old one wearing away prematurely. The thing that gets me thinking of going the $$$$ route is just that if i can drive as aggressively as i like and not need to even think about what I'm doing to the clutch I will enjoy driving a good deal more than i already do.Any performance gains will add to that sense , however illusory,of indestructibility.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-23-2006, 12:58 AM
a new pressure plate, and clutch disc...throw out bearing for good luck

wet sand the flywheel surface to break the glaze... 12 pack of good german beer and you're done.

you really need to buy some tools and get intmate with your car, you'll have a nice relaxing & rewarding time working on your car...And you'll save a few bucks.

Jehu
12-23-2006, 01:05 AM
While someone's suggestion that i find a large parking lot to do my control arms was in a remote way at least faintly possible.Replacing the clutch falls well beyond that range. I reiterate,i live in a Condo,top floor for that matter.Not only do i not have anywhere to keep any great number of tools i simply am not allowed by the Bylaws to work on my vehicles here.Not that i could drop the tranny by myself even if i were. As much as I'd love to have that opportunity and though i can see how working on your car adds another dimension to the overall pleasure, I am forced to have this kind of work done by someone equipped to do it.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-23-2006, 01:23 AM
that's why I left the condo life long ago.

AOAOs telling me what I can/can't do....yeah!...sell that box and buy a house

or

make a BMW buddy and go to his house, drink beer fix BMWs and piss off his wife.

Paul in NZ
12-23-2006, 02:32 AM
if you feel the std clutch is inadequate for you then go the other route.Purely by the posts you have made i think you are hard on your clutch(The 540 is hard on its clutch anyway with its high tourque and high gearing) so if you can afford it go with the other one.As long as youre happy the seller will satnd behind his product.

Jehu
12-23-2006, 12:30 PM
That's the basic point of the thread.I wasn't really sure weather the factory part would be inadequate and i thought those with longer experience with the 540 would have a better idea of how hard aggressive driving wears it.Not knowing how long this clutch has been in the car i can't judge how my driving contributed to its demise and how much was worn before i got it.If for instance it had been recently replaced say when the short block was swapped at 89,000 and i bought it at 129,000 that sounds to me like a poor length of use for the cost of its replacement even with the factory kit at $1,000.00.I can easily see putting another 50,000 miles on the car so if this example were correct Rather than spend $2,000.00 over two years on two clutch jobs i would rather spend it now and not be forced to put it in the shop again assuming the Kevlar clutch will out last the factory part by at least twice.I will be continually learning to improve the use of the clutch pedal anyway so that will figure in to overall longevity.

Jehu
12-23-2006, 01:14 PM
that's why I left the condo life long ago.

AOAOs telling me what I can/can't do....yeah!...sell that box and buy a house

or

make a BMW buddy and go to his house, drink beer fix BMWs and piss off his wife.

I've been house hunting for a while now.Been in this Box for Six years now.I bought it outright however at a low point in real estate prices and while from one perspective having its value double looks on paper like a huge financial win everything else has also risen. I have no Mortgage now,just property tax and a condo fee. Any house with land I'd get into would require my taking a mortgage and easily doubling my monthly obligations. As a commission based contractor who only earns when he works this is just more pressure than i care to take on at my advanced age...