PDA

View Full Version : Front suspension on 39...

aston_jag_tech
12-22-2006, 01:11 AM
97 or 98 5 series was in my friends bay today... the front is pretty much the same as our series besides the aluminum components and some structural braces. I was suprised....

Kalevera
12-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Relative to anything from BMW on a 5 or a 7 that proceeded it, it's actually quite different. Start with the leading arms versus trailing. Then there's the front springs and "strut housings" -- PITA -- and the general method for assembling things in the front end. Much more work and complexity, and for what.

I'm biased, though -- the E39 has always been my least favorite, in looks, driveability and wrenchability.

sirius_GTO
12-22-2006, 02:08 AM
care to explain your reasons as to why you do not like the looks, driveability, and wrenchability?

CharlesAFerg
12-22-2006, 02:22 AM
care to explain your reasons as to why you do not like the looks, driveability, and wrenchability?

I too, don't like the looks... But I'm stuck in the 80s.
So that's my problem.

'86 Bday ftw.
lol

Bellicose Right Winger
12-22-2006, 08:41 AM
He might have been looking at the 540i. It uses thrust arms like the E34's. Only the 6 cylinder versions use the tension struts. Odd that they would build them different. Maybe this allows clearence for the R&P steering on the six's.

Paul Shovestul

Kalevera
12-22-2006, 03:31 PM
You have a solid point, Paul. The 540/M5 use thrust arms. No more early morning posting for me.

Let me say that there's a lot to like about the E39. Ventilation is much better than on the E34. If I had to own one, it'd be a 528/5 because it feels the most balanced.

Generally, I don't like the way the E39 chassis feels. It's a bit too heavy and a bit too short. The E38 gets the proportions right for a big car. I don't like the driving position in the E38/E39 -- the windshield feels too far forward at the base, the dash seems too big. Like driving a new beetle. Yuck.

In terms of looks -- like the E46, it's too bulbous for me. When the last generation ford taurus showed up, a friend had just wrecked his car and received one of them, in brown, as a loaner. We called it the turdmobile. The E39 endears the same name -- the hood lines are fat. However, if you cut the front end off of a late touring and look at the rest of it, it would be an attractive car.

In terms of wrenchability -- it has more complexity in it than I think is needed. The rear suspension, carried over from the E38, is more maintenance, and special tools are needed to replace ball joints. The tradeoff is the ability to get a more precise alignment. Then there's the emissions equipment, ABS pulse senders, hotter operating temps, aux fans with integrated final stages. It's still less of a pain to work on than the E31.

I think the materials used in E38/E39 cars are very good, especially in the interior. We'll have sagging headliners and worn leather on the seats, but probably no issues with the door panels. All other electrics aside, the window regulators seem to work. I've driven a number of high mileage cars and have always been impressed with the way they've held up, but that may be more a function of their owners' care.

aston_jag_tech
12-23-2006, 01:03 AM
Relative to anything from BMW on a 5 or a 7 that proceeded it, it's actually quite different. Start with the leading arms versus trailing. Then there's the front springs and "strut housings" -- PITA -- and the general method for assembling things in the front end. Much more work and complexity, and for what.

I'm biased, though -- the E39 has always been my least favorite, in looks, driveability and wrenchability.

Ummmm its actually very similar.

aston_jag_tech
12-23-2006, 01:04 AM
He might have been looking at the 540i. It uses thrust arms like the E34's. Only the 6 cylinder versions use the tension struts. Odd that they would build them different. Maybe this allows clearence for the R&P steering on the six's.

Paul Shovestul

Yep yep, v8 car. Havent seen a 6 cyl. Maybe thts why that guy posted they are not really the same....

winfred
12-23-2006, 11:12 AM
the 6 bangers will shimmey almost as bad as a e34 if you let it wear out, i think the quality of materials is lower on just about the whole car, i sell and work on a lot of 525/528s, only worked on one 540, e38s are a little nicer but i still don't want one

aston_jag_tech
12-23-2006, 11:39 AM
the 6 bangers will shimmey almost as bad as a e34 if you let it wear out, i think the quality of materials is lower on just about the whole car, i sell and work on a lot of 525/528s, only worked on one 540, e38s are a little nicer but i still don't want one

I was thinking about looking into buying a 6 cyl just because its newer etc. But After seeing underneath I could care less. They are better looking but still have some old susp. tech yeah?

winfred
12-23-2006, 12:41 PM
theres only so many ways you can design a suspension before they all start looking the same on a production car, they are slightly better then the e34 on front end but in my opinion they took many steps back on the rear suspension, i don't like that weird mercedes looking multilink, **** wears out and takes a few special tools to replace the expensive ball joints that i am seeing worn out on under 80k mile cars, the upper rear camber links are better on the e39 then the e38 but not by far, they use the same through bolted lower ball joint that gets trashed

I was thinking about looking into buying a 6 cyl just because its newer etc. But After seeing underneath I could care less. They are better looking but still have some old susp. tech yeah?