PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be neat to stick a LED...

Dan in NZ
04-21-2004, 01:58 AM
Wouldn't it be neat to stick a LED just under the ledge where the ashtray is, to softly illuminate the shifter area at night, especially for cars like mine that don't have lighted gear selectors... Just a thought I had. I heard something about the new 7 having very low wattage lights hidden around the place to light up the console and door handles etc, cool idea and I bet it's really effective.

bahnstormer
04-21-2004, 09:35 AM
i've wanted to mod my shifter for sooo long but can't figure out the wiring
imagine this

every time u select a gear, the gear glows green the other ones are orange (on the shifter top) u'd need a bunch of leds and a lot of wires though =]

Bellicose Right Winger
04-21-2004, 10:57 AM
LED's are relatively easy to hookup. Making it look as neat as the 745 might be a little more difficult. Buy a few and experiment. Does NZ have the equivalent to a Radio Shack in the US?

http://www.theledlight.com/samplecircuits.html

Paul Shovestul

Wouldn't it be neat to stick a LED just under the ledge where the ashtray is, to softly illuminate the shifter area at night, especially for cars like mine that don't have lighted gear selectors... Just a thought I had. I heard something about the new 7 having very low wattage lights hidden around the place to light up the console and door handles etc, cool idea and I bet it's really effective.

bimmerd00d
04-21-2004, 12:42 PM
to find out what it looks like, just remove your ashtray, there's a lamp under there, and you'll get the idea of waht it'd look like ;)

Longhorn J
04-21-2004, 03:02 PM
my dads 04' 330ci has a setup like that. there is a small orange light in the map light area that lights up the center console

Unregistered
04-22-2004, 04:03 AM
Does NZ have the equivalent to a Radio Shack in the US?

Yeah we have a few electronics stores around the place. I'm at the point where the 525i might have to be sold, so it's not something I'd do myself, but if I could keep it it could be a fun novelty project...