PDA

View Full Version : 1994 BMW 530i Transmission Fuild Change

Green Bimmer
12-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Green Bimmer
1994 530i 171k
Joe Orlando, Florida

I am having my transmission fuild replaced today. Some I use Synthenic fuild or some I use Detron II/III?

BigKriss
12-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Does your have lifetime fluid or normal Dexron 3?

Green Bimmer
12-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Does your have lifetime fluid or normal Dexron 3?

The owners manual states replace with Dexron II and I just finish talking with fields BMW the service advisor states the vehicle take regular ATF Dexron III

BigKriss
12-21-2006, 09:53 AM
True, true. I just wasn't sure if it was Lifetime fluid or normal ATF Dexron 3. I run Castrol Transmax Z. It's a Fully Synthetic Dexron 3 fluid approved by ZF. I've talked about it before on here. (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10774&highlight=castrol+transmax)

The owners manual states replace with Dexron II and I just finish talking with fields BMW the service advisor states the vehicle take regular ATF Dexron III

Green Bimmer
12-21-2006, 10:29 AM
That sounds like such a hassle to get that fuild. I am going to stick with the regular ATF Dexron III.

True, true. I just wasn't sure if it was Lifetime fluid or normal ATF Dexron 3. I run Castrol Transmax Z. It's a Fully Synthetic Dexron 3 fluid approved by ZF. I've talked about it before on here. (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=10774&highlight=castrol+transmax)

632 Regal
12-21-2006, 11:37 AM
you getting it flushed??? bad news.

I used royal purple dex III which is synthetic when I changed the filter.

Green Bimmer
12-21-2006, 12:08 PM
What do you mean bad news? I have to have it change because I noticed it is beginning to slip when the transmission fuild is cold, also I notice some leaking around the gasket area.

you getting it flushed??? bad news.

I used royal purple dex III which is synthetic when I changed the filter.

632 Regal
12-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Well, id guess about 70% of them FAIL after a flush...thats why we change the filter and just the same amount of fluid that came out. The filter could be partially clogged causing the slip especially when its cold.

good luck to you!

What do you mean bad news? I have to have it change because I noticed it is beginning to slip when the transmission fuild is cold, also I notice some leaking around the gasket area.

Tiger
12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
I highly recommends the Pennzoil Multi Vehicle ATF... it is a great fluid to use for any BMW auto tranny. It is Dextron compatible. This is semi-synthetic fluid which has excellent properties.

Change the filter, as much fluid as possible, clean pan, and new gasket.

Green Bimmer
12-21-2006, 12:20 PM
So are you saying to use the same fuild or should use new fuild? Did think this would get this complicabled??

Well, id guess about 70% of them FAIL after a flush...thats why we change the filter and just the same amount of fluid that came out. The filter could be partially clogged causing the slip especially when its cold.

good luck to you!

Green Bimmer
12-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Regal said Well, id guess about 70% of them FAIL after a flush...thats why we change the filter and just the same amount of fluid that came out. The filter could be partially clogged causing the slip especially when its cold.

Now what should I do?

I highly recommends the Pennzoil Multi Vehicle ATF... it is a great fluid to use for any BMW auto tranny. It is Dextron compatible. This is semi-synthetic fluid which has excellent properties.

Change the filter, as much fluid as possible, clean pan, and new gasket.

632 Regal
12-21-2006, 12:26 PM
no use new fluid for the replacement, about 3 1/2 quarts. Also make sure they fill it properly. The transmission has to be 100 degrees, car perfectly level and idling.

So are you saying to use the same fuild or should use new fuild?

Green Bimmer
12-21-2006, 02:46 PM
I called BMW service department. I am going to allow them to service the transmission. Besides the cost is only $130 to have the transmission service.

no use new fluid for the replacement, about 3 1/2 quarts. Also make sure they fill it properly. The transmission has to be 100 degrees, car perfectly level and idling.

Tiger
12-21-2006, 08:43 PM
If you looked at the 540 tranny poll... that we had, it showed that 80% of the tranny survived after 'lifetime' fluid change.

Your tranny will certainly fail if nothing is done. You got nothing to lose either way. My tranny grabs alot stronger after a complete drain.

Bill R.
12-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Tiger, his transmission takes regular dexron III fluid, not the lifetime fluid. I would just use castrol dexron III mercon and it will be fine.

If you looked at the 540 tranny poll... that we had, it showed that 80% of the tranny survived after 'lifetime' fluid change.

Your tranny will certainly fail if nothing is done. You got nothing to lose either way. My tranny grabs alot stronger after a complete drain.

632 Regal
12-21-2006, 09:30 PM
as long as he changes the filter and only changes what comes out.
Tiger, his transmission takes regular dexron III fluid, not the lifetime fluid. I would just use castrol dexron III mercon and it will be fine.

Tiger
12-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah I know... but if he wants to use semi-synthetic, I'd recommends the Multi Vehicle ATF... it is such an excellent fluid and reasonably priced.

I'd prefer to use Valvoline Dextron for regular fluid.

Bill R.
12-22-2006, 09:46 AM
All dexron III mercon fluids are semisynthetic

Yeah I know... but if he wants to use semi-synthetic, I'd recommends the Multi Vehicle ATF... it is such an excellent fluid and reasonably priced.

I'd prefer to use Valvoline Dextron for regular fluid.