PDA

View Full Version : In Over My Head (DIYer's will appreciate)

boardburton
12-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Well, clutch pedal to the floor, master cylinder needs replacing. Me and my dad decided to take on this issue ourselves.

I bought a F.A.G. stock replacement and ordered it. After we got it we took apart the dash and got to it.

We went under the car and could see the 11mm flare nut that sticks out of the firewall. We tried to unscrew it (you come in from the top and can't see it, working blind with about 5 inches of moving room.

Couldn't get it to budge and got very discouraged. Failed for the rest of the day and called Franklin Foreign Auto.

Got her towed today by AAA, sigh, have to wait till after Christmas.

Kalevera
12-21-2006, 03:15 AM
You typically need a line wrench and a bit of PB blaster to loosen that.

Mr Project
12-21-2006, 07:45 AM
That line was a pain in the butt, and that was with my engine removed! You have my sympathy for having to try it in situ.

boardburton
12-22-2006, 12:46 AM
the worst part is today the shop called. They said it's my Slave cylinder (which I replaced 5k miles ago is leaking bad and that my master is only barely leaking.

$288 for the slave, installation of both, and hose. Also I paid $140 for the stock replacement FAG master.

Kalevera
12-22-2006, 01:22 AM
Did someone stomp on the clutch pedal before the slave was fully installed the first time around?