PDA

View Full Version : Chattering Wipers

we_call_him_doher
12-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Hello all,

This problem has driven me crazy for awhile, but with all the rain lately, I would really like to resolve it. My driver's side wiper will wipe the water clean on the "up-stroke" but on the way down it skips on the windsheild leaving lines of water. It did this with the old wiper inserts that came with the car when I bought it, and continues to happen (driver's side only....still) with the new BMW OE inserts I got from the dealer. Is there something else to adjust/fix that can stop the chattering?

Oh btw it chatters in any amount of rain. It could be misting or pouring, and it will still chatter.

Thanks

David Chen
12-20-2006, 08:33 PM
Does the lower end of the blade sit properly between the guide arms?

BMWCCA1
12-20-2006, 08:38 PM
Generally that's because the blade is not sitting perpendicular to the glass. If it chatters on the down-stroke even with a new insert, then you'll need to lift the arm and swing the blade out perpendicular to the arm (in a "T"), and use the leverage of the blade to twist the arm clockwise (a little) which should change the angle where the blade meets the glass. See if that helps.

shogun
12-20-2006, 08:44 PM
BMW has a special tool for the correct adjustment.
But you can make a tool out of a cheap school protractor. Find the cheapest small one in the softest plastic, if the plastic is too brittle then it'll be more difficult to cut. Cut it down at the 87deg mark with a stanley knife, run it along a file to make sure the edge is clean and flat, then check the angle is correct against another protractor (or the other half that's been cut off).

Bend the wiper so that it stands 87 degree against the window glass.

we_call_him_doher
12-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Thanks guys, later today I will go fight the holiday traffic to pick up a protractor. woohoo

Russell
12-21-2006, 11:54 AM
Somewhere I saw posted the angle needed. I cut and glued a protractor to help me the next time which is NOW! When I get thome ths evening I plan to change my blades and check angle.

OOPs, Just saw Shogun posted the required angle.

Tiger
12-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Majority of the chattering is because the blade itself is worn. Blades should be changed every 4 years. If you just wiggle the joints at every rivets, you will see what I mean... so loose... and if you try that on new one... none.

My suggestion is to buy Bosch Microedge of the same size from Pep Boys and alike and install them. The catalog won't list which one as Bosch has an agreement with BMW not to sell replacement. So just measure it with a tape and buy the right size.

CharlesAFerg
12-21-2006, 02:53 PM
I have the same EXACT problem, and it doesn't fit between the little guide things on the arm... Also, my arm hook is rusted, check that too because it seems to be loose.

Thanks for the tool hint though, I think I'll try that as well when I get a new drivers side wiper.

shogun
12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
The tool is shown here, where I asked once more, and also see TIS Bulletin 610889 dated June 1992
http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4515.0

If someone cannot enter the 7resource.co.uk, because one has to register first, maybe someone who can, can copy and post the images here with imageshack.
Otherwise I will do it this evening
Thanks

shogun
12-21-2006, 07:34 PM
ohh, and the TIS says ONLY the E32 angle should be 87 degrees, while the one from the E34 should be 84 degrees.
Better read that TIS in the link.
And the BMW tool has the # 88 88 600 9210 and has the measure for E32 and E34.

Russell
12-21-2006, 10:34 PM
blades every year! Even then, they often start smearing or chattering. If you have BMW factory blades, just get the inserts form the dealer or some online source. I think they are only about $7 to $12 for both sides. I had poor results with non factory blades.

BMWCCA1
12-21-2006, 11:13 PM
You've got to be kidding? Just bend it to whatever changed angle makes it stop chattering!!! It changes because the blades always park going down and the insert takes a "set" in that direction. For Dog's sake, if you need a protractor to "measure" 87º or 84º to kill the noise, I suspect you'll next be looking for the windshield washer aiming tool to adjust those. Just bend the arm to fix the problem. This is not really rocket science!! :D

shogun
12-21-2006, 11:19 PM
Believe it or not, there is even a very detailed instruction for the windhsield washers. There is also a BMW tool for that.
Some people need that ;-)

BMWCCA1
12-22-2006, 02:43 AM
Believe it or not, there is even a very detailed instruction for the windhsield washers. There is also a BMW tool for that.I know, and that's why I referred to it. It's yet another tool (like a wiper alignment tool) that no real BMW tech ever uses or needs. You aim the squirts where you want them to squirt. You bend the wiper arm in whatever direction it takes to stop the chattering. 'Nuff said. And a very Merry Christmas to you all!!!

genphreak
12-29-2006, 08:29 AM
I know, and that's why I referred to it. It's yet another tool (like a wiper alignment tool) that no real BMW tech ever uses or needs. You aim the squirts where you want them to squirt. You bend the wiper arm in whatever direction it takes to stop the chattering. 'Nuff said. And a very Merry Christmas to you all!!!Yes the Pressure Adjustment Device on the 530/535/540 vehicles is a bitch. The reason why the 'old way' is the best way is because the driver's arm BENDS itself due to operation of the PAD. If the PAD malfunctions you get bent arm- this usaully then leads to hitting the bonnet- and this leads to drive motor failure as well as chipped paint.

The PADs wear out. They have to be greased at least, you have to pull them from inside the firewall/plenum chamber using your best monkey hands, arms and fingers.

The way to fix the arm is with a rubber hammer to bend it back + a new PAD! :) Nick