PDA

View Full Version : '95 525IT No 3rd or 4th gear

Just Jim
12-19-2006, 11:18 PM
The trans in my 110,000 mile '95 525IT will not shift into 3rd or 4th. 1st ,2nd and reverse work fine.When in D it will shift 1-2 but then just feels like neutral in 3rd.This happen after the car sat overnight prior to that no indication of a problem.Not sure of the trans model number but it is a GM Hydramatic as I noticed a placard on the side of the trans when I replaced a shift shaft seal awhile ago.Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

stilljester
12-20-2006, 06:47 AM
Did you check the fluid level?

Just Jim
12-20-2006, 09:53 AM
The fluid level was fine last I checked.Doesn't seem to be any leaks but I'll check it out closer. Just had the car towed 152 miles home as the BMW dealer in El Cajon wanted $4000 to fix it."We don't repair transmissions just R&R".

Just Jim
12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
I jacked it up and checked the trans fluid in neutral with the engine running. It took less than a few ounces to fill it up so the fliud wasn't the problem. Drove it over to the local trans place who quoted a minimum of $1100 if it's just seals and clutches and more if other things. Is there somewhere to find a diagram showing the internal workings of the trans?

BillionPa
12-20-2006, 10:14 PM
sounds like the valve body solenoid died.

stilljester
12-21-2006, 07:42 AM
I jacked it up and checked the trans fluid in neutral with the engine running. It took less than a few ounces to fill it up so the fliud wasn't the problem. Drove it over to the local trans place who quoted a minimum of $1100 if it's just seals and clutches and more if other things. Is there somewhere to find a diagram showing the internal workings of the trans?

Have you checked the wiring on the transmission to make sure everything is connected and in good health? $1100 sounds better then $4k I believe there are test procedures for the valve in one of the manuals online.

Just Jim
12-21-2006, 10:49 PM
sounds like the valve body solenoid died.

The electrical connections all seem fine.Where would I find an on line electrical diagram and testing procedure? Would help to find an internal parts breakdown also,my Bently manual doesn't have one.