PDA

View Full Version : Best engine / tranny chip?

andyman32
04-20-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm looking at the Dinan catalog here. $400 (retail) for the engine chip and $200 for the transmission chip.

Anyone have other suggestions? How about the EAT chip? Anyone have any links to good side-by-side comparisons of their respective performance?

MBXB
04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
Andy, I use Mark D's EAT chip. Do a search for my posts. I compared it to Conforti.
Ive used Conforti and Dinan too. NO Contest. It's EAT all the way.

andyman32
04-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Yes? Okay... thanks for the tip. EAT seems a little nicer on the wallet too! :D

Johntee540
04-20-2004, 08:59 PM
I recently went through the Chip research for the 94 540iA I have. Last week as a matter of fact. It appears that there are very few actual 540's of this model year that can actually be chipped. They apparently used dozens of ECU's and applied dozens of Software patches in our model year. As a result the chip makers post chips for one particular ECU and software release. The websites for Turner and Enhanced Auto Technology all post the specifics you need. You will have to remove your ECU to get the detail information you will need to order. Good Luck - Johntee540

MBXB
04-20-2004, 09:20 PM
You always have to verify your ECU with the chip tuner to make sure it's compatible. I had my stock chip already out and emailed the number to Turner. No problem with the right chip.
I didn't have a problem with Dinan prior to that either.
Removing the ECU isnt that bad. If you've installed a card ina PC, youcan remove an ECU.

Ramon

QUOTE=Johntee540]I recently went through the Chip research for the 94 540iA I have. Last week as a matter of fact. It appears that there are very few actual 540's of this model year that can actually be chipped. They apparently used dozens of ECU's and applied dozens of Software patches in our model year. As a result the chip makers post chips for one particular ECU and software release. The websites for Turner and Enhanced Auto Technology all post the specifics you need. You will have to remove your ECU to get the detail information you will need to order. Good Luck - Johntee540[/QUOTE]

andyman32
04-21-2004, 07:10 AM
I'm already talking to Mark D through email. I have to go out and check my DME number; he's not sure if he has a chip for my model (probably due to the wonderful variety of control units used in this model). He did say I could join in on the group-buy though!

Oh - and I'm a web developer, and build my own computers and servers... shouldn't be too much trouble to install the chip. ;)