PDA

View Full Version : What I get for messing with the washer fluid

swenpro
12-18-2006, 10:30 PM
I had some "summer" bug washer fluid in my windshield washer reservoir, and I needed to change it out for some regular washer fluid that has a low freezing point. So I started pulling the tank out, but then realized I didn't feel like unhooking the connections (sensor and pump), so I just used a baster/syringe to remove the fluid through the opening on top. Poured in the new washer fluid, started up the car, "low washer fluid."

Okay, well the warning doesn't bother me as much as the fact that now my pump isn't working either! What did I do?? I barely touched the sensor and pump, yet now neither of them seem to be working. When I pull the column lever for fluid to spray, the pump doesn't even make any noise. I checked for power to the pump, and it's getting 12v. The connections look fine. I can't find which fuse is associated with them. Could both my pump AND sensor have failed at the same time?

Jehu
12-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Not sure what you did but.... why didn't you just drive around and use all the fluid up ON THE WINDSHIELD? Then you'd have a dribble left that you could have gotten with your baster...Just a thought.

Alexlind123
12-18-2006, 10:44 PM
My washers are broken so that when they are actuated, they never stop spraying until i restart the car. Also, one of my nozzles is loose so that it pointsup over my roof. One day, i accidentally bumped the washer stalk and washer fluid sprayed up in a huge fan over the roof of my car until i pulled over and restarted the car. It was in the middle of a busy intersection too.

Maybe i should try that during the rain to give my car a wash...soap bubbles on the roof washed down by rain :)

E34 530
12-18-2006, 10:50 PM
My washers are broken so that when they are actuated, they never stop spraying until i restart the car. Also, one of my nozzles is loose so that it pointsup over my roof. One day, i accidentally bumped the washer stalk and washer fluid sprayed up in a huge fan over the roof of my car until i pulled over and restarted the car. It was in the middle of a busy intersection too.

Maybe i should try that during the rain to give my car a wash...soap bubbles on the roof washed down by rain :)

haha. Last year my friend and I turned his nozzles sideways (they also shot ridiculously far for some reason) and went to the local "strip/shopping center." Hilarity ensued when you rolled down the window to ask someone a question and they recieved a fresh shot of liquid on them. :p

brosher
12-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Could both my pump AND sensor have failed at the same time?

Did you run the pump with no fluid? I've not inspected these specific pumps but I would think it could overheat and fry if it was run with no fluid. Also, is there fluid in the tank? Maybe you need to bleed or burp the system somehow. Just throwing stuff out there.

repenttokyo
12-19-2006, 11:59 AM
i had a pickup truck that shot way to the left and about 15 feet back. My friend used to work as a research chemist at Clairol and he was always bringing home test batches of fragrances and cosmetics. Well, after a few months, I had accumulated about 4 gallons of this stuff called "Body Mist", which is basically alcohol and fragrance. We loaded it into my washer reservoir and spent a night terrorizing people lined up outside of clubs.

It was pretty hilarious, because it was designed to be aerosolized, so in it's liquid form it smelled very powerfully. The funniest part was the surprise element - first you are wet, and then you stink! Needless to say, no one ever suspects a pickup truck.

Ah, my teenage years.