PDA

View Full Version : Picked up the 540-6 Project car tonight

jbraswell
12-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Me and a buddy made the ride up to chattanooga tonight to pick up the 540 6 speed without the transmission that was posted for sale on here the other day. Definitely a pretty good deal as of right now. The car looks like it has had a rough life, probably has a bunch of miles on it, but with a little time and money, it should be a solid car. Figured I post some more info on it, since there wasn't a whole lot in the sale.

Anyways, does anyone have a cosmos black metallic car? I thought this one was schwarz II, but when I looked in the engine bay its cosmos metallic, so I was pretty excited about that. It also has ASC, was this an option in '95 or what?

It does definately have some problems though:

-No transmission $$
-3 decent sized dents on drivers side, one on trunk lid (Passenger side is very straight)
-Broken drivers side taillight
-Side skirt on drivers side is not sitting flush
-Cluster works, but does not show mileage (any ideas on this?)
-Missing Kidneys
-Rock chips on hood (Imagine that)
-broken lower grill
-Trashed rear bumper cover (with one grade 5 3/8" bolt fastening the drivers side to the car)
-missing glove box latch
-Broken drivers seat
-Electric fan "installed," toggle switch on the console and everything (this one worries me)
-Missing trunk carpet completely

Other than that it's not too bad for what I payed for it. I'm happy with it. If anyone has any parts that could help me out I'd appreciate it. I'll post some pics tomorrow since i know everyone is dying to see them

angrypancake
12-18-2006, 10:34 PM
hell yeah pics or ban! my parts car is schwarz i think.... hrmmm.....

Denton
12-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Damn, bizzare. A lot of that stuff won't be too hard with a parts car to take stuff off of.

The odometer bulb may be burned out. Can you see the display faintly at night?

Check angrypancake's parts car...you may be able to use a bunch of the parts.

I'd be worried about that Efan too.

Cosmos is a rare color, didn't even know it came on the E34. Maybe a special order?

How is the driver's seat broken? If it's twisty seat then you can fix it, but I'm sure you know that.

jbraswell
12-18-2006, 10:58 PM
Yeah you can see the display a little bit, definately not as bright as my 535. There is just no text at all. I'm kind of worried to know what it says, I've heard this car has ~270k on the chassis, not sure if its the same car though.

The fan is laughable, I'll be sure to get pics of that tomorrow. I'm thinking the fan clutch went out and someone decided installing the electric fan was a better idea

The seat twists on the right side, but it will not support your weight. It twists when you sit, pretty sure its broken

I'm going to get our dent guy to look at the car tomorrow, and then start looking for replacement panels, I almost wish it was schwarz for ease of replacement. I'm going to buff the quarter tomorrow to see how metallic the cosmos really is, as the paint is so spider-webbed right now you can't possibly see the metallic

Denton
12-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that odometer bulb is out. Replace it and I think it will be like new. I've seen that before.

I guess you'll have to find a new seat; good luck finding a sport seat.

Good call on getting a buffer. Try www.autogeek.net and go from there.

Looking forward to the updates!

Nick.Hay
12-19-2006, 07:15 AM
I cant believe you sold the Red Razor scooter!!! :(

Stephan735i
12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Me and a buddy made the ride up to chattanooga tonight to pick up the 540 6 speed without the transmission that was posted for sale on here the other day. Definitely a pretty good deal as of right now. The car looks like it has had a rough life, probably has a bunch of miles on it, but with a little time and money, it should be a solid car. Figured I post some more info on it, since there wasn't a whole lot in the sale.

Anyways, does anyone have a cosmos black metallic car? I thought this one was schwarz II, but when I looked in the engine bay its cosmos metallic, so I was pretty excited about that. It also has ASC, was this an option in '95 or what?

It does definately have some problems though:

-No transmission $$
-3 decent sized dents on drivers side, one on trunk lid (Passenger side is very straight)
-Broken drivers side taillight
-Side skirt on drivers side is not sitting flush
-Cluster works, but does not show mileage (any ideas on this?)
-Missing Kidneys
-Rock chips on hood (Imagine that)
-broken lower grill
-Trashed rear bumper cover (with one grade 5 3/8" bolt fastening the drivers side to the car)
-missing glove box latch
-Broken drivers seat
-Electric fan "installed," toggle switch on the console and everything (this one worries me)
-Missing trunk carpet completely

Other than that it's not too bad for what I payed for it. I'm happy with it. If anyone has any parts that could help me out I'd appreciate it. I'll post some pics tomorrow since i know everyone is dying to see them

Cosmosschwarz was in North America available on M540i and 540i M-Sport, but to this cars, the very first 540i/6 built 1994-03-21 is Cosmosschwarz it has ASC+T (option all years in Europe), head light washers (standard in Canada?) Silver grey leather without seat heaters it also has Ski bag and rear head rests, my I ask what's the VIN is, PM me if you don't which it public, my goal is to have all (3203 PS 540i/6) equipment lists, US cars are 1524 PS.

My 1996 Euro M Sport package 540i/6 is Cosmos black... http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/galleribilder/00036072_40774_S6.jpg

http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/galleribilder/00036065_40774_S6.jpg

Regards Stephan

jbraswell
12-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Well it runs. Idles perfect. So that's good news. Saw the whole car in daylight for the first time today and it is in serious need of some cosmetic help. Mechanically, there's no telling yet. I'm going to have to re-install the proper fan and whatnot, but that's all I know for now. Steering rack looks new, but I bet its going to have a shimmy because the CA bushings look old to say the least. I'm going back up tonight to pull the e-fan, sideskirts and clean everything up so I will get some pics then.