PDA

View Full Version : Raleigh NC get-together?

andyman32
04-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Anyone from the Raleigh region interested in having a get-together to compare cars and what not? Maybe even a lap around a track? (I'm not sure where tracks are around here...)

-Andy

Rigmaster
04-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Hey Andy,

I'm up for a get together, I can even offer the use of our farm (about 30 minutes South-East of Raleigh), if we need a place.

Bret.

andyman32
04-21-2004, 07:04 AM
Okay - that sounds good! Anybody else? I know I saw at least 4 or 5 folks...

salansky
04-21-2004, 08:11 AM
I'm game - albeit with ample notice. It would be great to meet you guys in person and drink a few brews (after tracktime :) )
-jack

billb
04-21-2004, 09:45 AM
recently moved, so time is at a premium right now, especially until mid-June, then things settle down.

Bill B.
Apex

andyman32
04-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Okay, last call before we try setting a date. Scott? Anyone else?

I've got late-June as a suggestion. How about June 18th (Friday)?

ScottyWM
04-21-2004, 01:52 PM
Sure... got some dates that won't work, but mostly free. Maybe y'all can help me t-shoot my rough idle. Oh man, does that mean I'll have to wash off the pollen?!?!

andyman32
04-21-2004, 02:26 PM
LOL... I washed my car, had it clean & polished, not a single pollen spore, for all the pics on the website. By the next day the car looked like McDonald's colors again. :-\

Sure... got some dates that won't work, but mostly free. Maybe y'all can help me t-shoot my rough idle. Oh man, does that mean I'll have to wash off the pollen?!?!

andyman32
04-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Okay! Let's do this. I'm excited. I want to see everyone else's car. Oh... and meeting you might be OK too. ;)

Rigmaster offers a farm as a location. But what do we want to do? Want to tour? Or can we find a track? And do we just want to have a few beers and take pics at the farm, or do we want to have a cookout?

I'm willing to go all the way... I'll throw in a case of beer and some meat, if we want to do the cookout!

I'll try to get email addresses from this board and come up with a list in my email program. But let's try to make plans here, so everyone involved can read it. We at least need to get an idea how many folks will be coming - who's bringing significant others, kids.

How's June 17th (Thursday)? 19th (Saturday)? Another day? Throw out some suggestions... let's get the show on the road!

JR'Z 525
04-26-2004, 07:19 PM
Sounds cool. Raleigh is close enough to NE GA. I'd be interested in meeting up with you guys if the date suits! Guess I'll have to get the clay bar and polisher out to tone down my sad clearcoat....
JR

billb
04-26-2004, 08:32 PM
That's ALWAYS a good location to meet...

www.virclub.com

Bill B.

ScottyWM
04-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Weekdays would be tough. Some of us actually have to work you know ;-) The 19th sounds good to me. Would likely be just me... wife and kids don't share the obsession... er... hobby.

Scott

andyman32
04-27-2004, 06:48 AM
Okay, so we have June 19th?

A track day at this Virginia International Raceway?

I really don't know how these things work, and I'm not a member at any track, so I invite someone with more experience to make suggestions as to how we secure track time.

rickm
04-27-2004, 07:08 AM
Talk to someone at Tarheel BMWCCA (tarheelbmwcca.org) to see if they have a track day scheduled then you might be able to take advantange of their ability to get a little better pricing. Not sure if VIR is always open for everyone.

If I could swing it I'd drive up from Asheville. There is a possibility I have a meeting sometime late that week, I could spend an extra night. Hey, if I took a state owned car I could track it! (Maybe I can kill off that POS taurus!)

billb
04-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Okay, so we have June 19th?

A track day at this Virginia International Raceway?

I really don't know how these things work, and I'm not a member at any track, so I invite someone with more experience to make suggestions as to how we secure track time.

to get on-track, you have to have LOTS of liability insurance (millions worth), plus emergency services, track rental fees, etc. etc. The BEST way to get your E34 on the track is at a BMWCCA driving school, as Rick is hinting at. There's one in the fall, Nov. 12-14 (check www.tarheelbmwcca.org). I'd suggest that as a meeting point for us all, as some of us may be planning on participating (I'm thinking really hard about taking my 318iS up there this fall...).

You can also check www.virclub.com website for other driving schools at the track, but long story short, you can't just arrive and drive at that track (or many others, for that matter).

I merely suggested the location as it is convenient to Raleigh, and perhaps we could have an informal "show and shine" while watching OTHER cars on the track (and not have to worry about scratching up our iron...).

Bill B.

Chip
04-27-2004, 12:01 PM
is scheduled for July 3 and 4 for the BMWCCA Tarheel chapter. Registration for Tarheel members is May 3, for everybody else (if still have open spots) is May 24. I usually do the March and November schools, heard that the July school is very hot with track temps of 130F+. VIR is a great track and I highly recommend doing schools there, but like Bill said you just don't go up and drive at the track.
I would like to get together with the NC gang if the wife/family won't miss me for a few hours on the 19th- just keep me posted. By then I should have my new Road Race Technology sport control arms installed.

to get on-track, you have to have LOTS of liability insurance (millions worth), plus emergency services, track rental fees, etc. etc. The BEST way to get your E34 on the track is at a BMWCCA driving school, as Rick is hinting at. There's one in the fall, Nov. 12-14 (check www.tarheelbmwcca.org). I'd suggest that as a meeting point for us all, as some of us may be planning on participating (I'm thinking really hard about taking my 318iS up there this fall...).

You can also check www.virclub.com website for other driving schools at the track, but long story short, you can't just arrive and drive at that track (or many others, for that matter).

I merely suggested the location as it is convenient to Raleigh, and perhaps we could have an informal "show and shine" while watching OTHER cars on the track (and not have to worry about scratching up our iron...).

Bill B.

andyman32
04-27-2004, 03:41 PM
HAHA! I'm the uber-n00b... that point has been made AMPLY clear. So, I'll make a "track day" a longer-term goal for myself. UNTIL then... perhaps we can suffice with a simpler get-together, PERHAPS with the slightly less ambitious goal of some country-road touring?

Just a thought...

Anyhow, 19th sound OK? Did we WANT to go to VIR, or do we want to do it more local to Raleigh?

It sounds like there are some folks from the coast, the mountains, and N. GA who would like to come, and who benefit more if we stayed in a more central location around here, but I'm totally flexible. I'm just trying to get something like a consensus on the date & location. :)