PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Fluid Tank Leak

Bean
12-18-2006, 10:44 AM
First of all, a big thanks in to all the posters to this forum. Since I bought my 1995 530 a year ago, this forum has been an invaluable resource while trying to get it the car up to par. I'm not a mechanically inclined guy, so the search function has been particularly key to solving many, many problems I've had. Again, thanks.

However, my search for information on fixing a leak on the wiper fluid tank returns nothing. My assumption is that I can just disconnect the sensors, disconnect the hose(s), remove the tank from a couple of fasteners, find the leak, plug with super glue, replace and I'm off to the races.

I know from experience that its better to check with the combined wisdom of this group than run off on my own. So....anyone have this problem? Is it as easy as I think it is, or is there some BMW designed snafu waiting to happen?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jeff

DaveVoorhis
12-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Removing and replacing the tank is a pretty trivial job. The only fastener is the plastic screw on top, and the pump motor and sensor are held in by rubber grommets. In fact, it's probably the grommets that are leaking, but it might also be leaking through the pump motor itself (which is relatively cheap to replace) or around a hardened fluid hose at the outlet of the pump.

BillionPa
12-18-2006, 12:08 PM
mine had a crack on the little feet where it bolts to the body of the car. dont use superglue, get some silicone.

RSK540iA
12-18-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi Jeff,

I have the same problem. I was of the opinion the seal between bottle and pump simply required replacing, my workshop said no, the pump is leaking internally. They since replaced the pump. There's still a leak although the bottle no longer empties in one day. Now it can only be the seal. I'll take it up with them and let you know the outcome.

Regards,
Ralf

bbig119
12-18-2006, 01:43 PM
+1 for checking the pump

I replaced the grommet first and it still leaked. Replacing the pump did the trick.

Hi Jeff,

I have the same problem. I was of the opinion the seal between bottle and pump simply required replacing, my workshop said no, the pump is leaking internally. They since replaced the pump. There's still a leak although the bottle no longer empties in one day. Now it can only be the seal. I'll take it up with them and let you know the outcome.

Regards,
Ralf

repenttokyo
12-18-2006, 02:52 PM
i just had my pump replaced friday for exactly this reason. 127 dollars CAD is what I paid for a new pump.

Qube
12-18-2006, 06:58 PM
i just had my pump replaced friday for exactly this reason. 127 dollars CAD is what I paid for a new pump.

127 bucks? What does BMA want for them? I need to check all three tanks soon.

mangler
12-18-2006, 08:48 PM
it's the pump, and there's one on ebay right now for cheap.

mangler
12-18-2006, 08:51 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-E24-E31-E32-E34-E36-Z1-Z3-Washer-Pump_W0QQitemZ130058975279QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33686 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem