PDA

View Full Version : Flood damaged engine q's

brosher
12-17-2006, 10:37 PM
There is a flood damaged M3/4/5 for sale near me. The computer is definitely fried, the add says no water in the oil. What would it take to get this engine running again in another car? What are the risks of a submerged engine aside from the electrics?

Rigmaster
12-18-2006, 12:06 AM
What's an M3/4/5 ??

If the engine is not hydrolocked, then it's probably salvageable. I would be worried about the electrics, including the engine wiring harness and any sensors, AFM, TPS, etc. If you plan on replacing all of that stuff, just budget accordingly and swap out parts if necessary- then you should be fine.

The basic engine is just an assemblage of mostly metal parts- so as long as the water is out of it and rust is not allowed to set in, you are fine.

If you get it, I would flush out all the fluids, and see what comes out. Put some (a small amount of) light engine oil in each of the spark plug holes and turn the engine over several times. Replace the plugs and see if it will start with fresh gas and oil.

Bret.

632 Regal
12-18-2006, 12:08 AM
rusty valve stems, water in the oiling system possible, rusted piston rings. how long has it been since submerged? Whatever water went in is still sitting in there. dont crank it without pulling the plugs first and roll it over by hand to prevent hydrolock.

aston_jag_tech
12-18-2006, 01:05 AM
STAY AWAY FROM WATER DAMAGE!!! EWWWWWWW

From what little experience I have and have seen at the shop. Stay away bro. I worked on a few water damaged cars and its disgusting and frustrating.

angrypancake
12-18-2006, 02:05 AM
i'm thinking you meant
M3

4 door

5 speed?

Paul in NZ
12-18-2006, 03:54 AM
any water in the engine wil start its nasty work immediatey.They must be drained of all water and refilled with something to flush the water out immediatley.If it has been more than a few days forget it.Unless you can get it for virtually nothing cos you will have to pull it completely to bits to clean check replace that water can damage....

markus
12-18-2006, 08:18 AM
just pass.

brosher
12-18-2006, 09:04 AM
In E36 lingo M3/4/5 is short for:

M3,4 door,5 speed?

Thanks for the advise guys. The car is on roadfly and I believe it has been there for a month for $5k. I was thinking I could rip out the engine and trans for a swap, but I don't want to deal with corrosion. I guess I'll be better off getting a engine/tranny from a scrap yard.

Rigmaster
12-18-2006, 09:15 AM
Well, your original post was sort of a trick question. You asked what would it take to get it running in another car........NOT "is it worth it".......

For $5000, I'd expect to get a good running S50/S52 engine with working electronics in a wrecked car. Flood cars can be a cheap and easy fix, but they are generally just a major PITA. So, it might be worth the risk IF you could get it dirt cheap, otherwise, no.

Bret.