View Full Version : Recurring Clutch Hydraulics Problems

dave b
12-17-2006, 06:23 PM
It's been a long time since I posted here, as I have not been having any problems until this morning. Once again, my clutch pedal is stuck on the floor. I've had the slave cylinder replaced twice before and the master done once before, but I keep getting leaks. I've noticed it's worse in cold weather - has anyone else had problems with the clutch hydraulics? Is there a particular brand of cylinders I should insist on using?

I noticed that sometimes the car would have to warm up for a little while before I got really good pedal resistance, but this morning, it went straight to the floor and stayed there. I think it went down in the 30s last night. Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave B
1993 525i

632 Regal
12-18-2006, 12:20 AM
bump

DaveVoorhis
12-18-2006, 01:53 AM
After the aftermarket cylinder that came with the car failed, in a single year I went through two more aftermarket slave cylinders in an E28 520i. Then I bought a replacement from the dealer -- no problems since. The dealer part was obviously of much better quality construction.

dave b
12-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks - I'll look into the different cylinders available when I take the car in....

dave b

DanDombrowski
12-18-2006, 09:38 AM
I had some clutch problems awhile back where I would get a soft pedal because the grommets at the brake master cylinder were leaking, but I always had enough pedal pressure to bring the pedal back up, so I don't think thats it.

I'd be more willing to bet money on just a poor quality aftermarket unit having the seals shrink in cold weather and leaking. Good luck!

Shotgun Lobotomy
12-18-2006, 11:23 AM
replace the soft hose that goes to the slave. alot of time lose develop small leaks which allow air into the system.