PDA

View Full Version : remove rear side window switch?

Russell
12-17-2006, 04:44 PM
How do you remove rear side window switch? This a take off on another thread re lighting. Apparenty they are lighted on most years.

RealOem illustration (various switches) implies it just prys out (on the sides) like many of the other e34 switches. Archives were not helpful on how to remove?? Hope I do not have to take off rear door panels.

Both of mine are not illuminated. I assume they are burnt out. Did not seem to make any difference with the lockout switch engaged.

Is this correct? Bentley is silent-I think. TIA

Rus
12-17-2006, 05:12 PM
In light of the previous thread I eagerly ran out to the garage and removed the switches. They do just pry out. Take a thin screwdriver and pry at the center of the longer rectangle side. This is where the pivot point is, and as such the strongest place on the button. Be aware that when you pop the switch out, the little metal clips that hold it in place are almost guaranteed to come out of their nests in the switch and like in my case fall inside the door (panel removal ~ 2 minutes at this point). Have a magnet handy and you might avoid pulling the door panel. The bulb inside is tiny. Its smaller than what you'll find in the sunroof/tranny switches. I've used small led's to repair similar lights before, but this is smaller than anything I've dealt with. Also, be really careful with the wiring harness as the plug is super brittle. HTH

Russell
12-17-2006, 05:58 PM
Thank you. I will watch for the clips. May wait until later to fix so I do not feel rushed.

I have several very small T1 12 volt 50mA bulbs with solid wire leadswhich I believe would fit. Purchased from MCM in Ohio. They are much smaller than the bulbs used in the sunroof/tranny swiches.

shogun
12-17-2006, 07:23 PM
the little metal clips that hold it in place are almost guaranteed to come out of their nests in the switch and like in my case fall inside the door (panel removal ~ 2 minutes at this point). Have a magnet handy and you might avoid pulling the door panel.

good advice!!!!
These clips are not available as single item!
If they get lost, you have to make one clip on your own.
Flexible spring steel is good, or modify a clip for other purposes from the car.
I found out that clips from the headliner can be easily modified with a small grinder to make the size fit.
Or window frame hangers etc.

Russell
12-17-2006, 08:30 PM
One fixed. Clips stayed in place. Tommorrow evening, I will try the other door. My magnet tool and pick up claw tool are ready! Thanks again.