PDA

View Full Version : m60 coolant capacity?

dt8068
12-17-2006, 01:17 AM
I need to know the total amount of coolant the m60 4.0 takes. I tried searching, but couldn't seem to find it. This way I can add half the capacity with straight coolant and fill the rest with water because flushing the system doesn't empty all the coolant.
I'll be doing a coolant flush soon because I want to get some BMW blue in it (currently running green prestone i think).

oh, and also does the drain plug on the passenger side of the block require a new crush ring of some sort?

Thanks.

Traian
12-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Per Bentley, the M60 takes 12.5 L / 13 qts of coolant. Yes there is a washer on the block drain plug, dealer sells it. Why not just add a 50/50 mix directly, then there's no guessing?

BillionPa
12-17-2006, 02:27 AM
a 50/50 mix of proper coolant isnt available. get the SAAB blue coolant, same as BMW but 40% cheeper at most dealers.

if your winter gets fricken cold like mine does, run 60% antifreeze instead. use distilled water and pour it into a funnel at the same time as the antifreeze.

chiefcorey
12-17-2006, 03:16 AM
Per Bentley, the M60 takes 12.5 L / 13 qts of coolant. Yes there is a washer on the block drain plug, dealer sells it. Why not just add a 50/50 mix directly, then there's no guessing?

Strange, I just had mine replaced and they only charged me for 10 litres. They said that's what it required. They had checked it before confirming with me which type of coolannt I wanted to buy as the BMW Blue was so expensive.

Traian
12-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Well, I'm not sure, I didn't get 100% of mine out either, only about 12L. Did they drain the rad as well? Also, i meant pre-mixing the BMW blue with distilled and adding. I found the BMW blue is actually cheaper than buying premixed generic stuff.