PDA

View Full Version : Noise from the front suspension

t_marat
12-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Because of knocking noises I had replaced these parts in my front suspension:
Upper and lower control arms (bushings also replaced)
2 stabilizer links
4 steering ball joints
Pitman arm (if not mistaken)

After all that was replaced I still had some faint noise coming from the front side. I thought it was my steering box which had some slackness. Now I replaced the steering box also, but still have that noise. now it is worse than it was.
It shows itself when I drive over some rough surface. I also noticed that if I drive with the steering wheel turned nearly to maximum to the right, then there is no noise. Do not know if the same is true for left turns.
What could this be?

PeteAB
12-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Have you thought about the front struts being loose? They can make some noise if the nut is not tight.

Jon K
12-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Turn the collar on the top of the strut housing

t_marat
12-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Just turn the collar with the a wrench without taking off the wheels, right?

would it explain the fact that it doesn't make noise while the steering wheel is turned right close to the max?

dennyg
12-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Actually I had a noise shortly after changing all control arm bushings sway bar links motor and tranny mounts pitman arms.......the noise was just right front sway bar link that was not tight enough. The noise showed up in slow speed driving when a small pot hole or speed bump was driven over. I was glad thats all it was......very happy that I changed all those parts now!

t_marat
12-16-2006, 02:53 PM
what is the Sway bar? what is its name in realoem?

Yaninnya
12-16-2006, 07:57 PM
what is the Sway bar? what is its name in realoem?
It is just anti roll bar in Europe. :D
Also you shoud check top mounts and roll bar bushes. Did you checked middle steering rod?
Jan

632 Regal
12-16-2006, 08:10 PM
I agree with cranking the strut collar nut, one time with my crappy Bilsteins I needed to retighten it just under 1 1/2 turns. This was about 6 months after installing them.