PDA

View Full Version : did somebody re-tension seat belts?

shogun
12-16-2006, 02:42 AM
My driver side seat belt does not get back so qick, actually it stops somewhere and before it gets stuck when closing the door, I push it back into the B-pillar.
Cleaned cpl. belt with detergent some time ago, then after drying sprayed it with silicone spray, helped a bit to retract a bit better, but not as good as I expected.
Seems the spring is getting weaker.
Can imagine that while tinkering with that spring it suddenly gets lose and goes off like a rocket.
Any experience?

JMI
12-16-2006, 03:16 AM
Me too...

kev535i
12-16-2006, 05:50 AM
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3122
the spring scared me off!!

Russell
12-16-2006, 08:52 AM
My driver's side is slow to re-coil. I just may buy a new belt when it gets bad enough. Not sure I want to mess with somethng that could save my life.

Qube
12-16-2006, 11:19 AM
Seatbelts have a lifespan. I'm pretty sure I should replace my belts given it's 1988 build date... but I'd rather trust an aging belt than a wrench monkey to change it out.

CharlesAFerg
12-16-2006, 01:16 PM
My driver side seat belt does not get back so qick, actually it stops somewhere and before it gets stuck when closing the door, I push it back into the B-pillar.
Cleaned cpl. belt with detergent some time ago, then after drying sprayed it with silicone spray, helped a bit to retract a bit better, but not as good as I expected.
Seems the spring is getting weaker.
Can imagine that while tinkering with that spring it suddenly gets lose and goes off like a rocket.
Any experience?

Mine goes up about 1/2 and then i MUST push it up or it sorta jumbles around and never gets pulled in, but I only sit there for about 4 seconds pushing it in slightly right up against the retractor slot.

Russell
12-16-2006, 09:14 PM
silicone spray on seat belt surface seemed to help a bit. I guess it reduces friction. Even so, I am going to remove the door piller cover and clean etc. to see if that helps.

shogun
12-16-2006, 09:20 PM
Silicon spray done already. Pulled it out completely and washed the compelte belt with a soap and a lot of dirt came out. Then let it dry and then sprayed with silicon to reduce the friction, pulled it out several times while spraying.
Removed door covers, checked the angle the lower part was installed etc.
What I found out, that apparently the part in the B-pillar could be the culprit where it slides throu, because when I losened the pillar cover and pulled the belt there, it rolled up completely.
Have to dig into that matter again.
Only drivers side is making the problem, apparaently as this belt has been used always compared to the other seats.

shogun
12-16-2006, 11:34 PM
here are the instructions with pics
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/290248