PDA

View Full Version : where is the diagnosisbox on E39 2001?

shogun
12-15-2006, 10:47 PM
I have sold one of the Zymexx airbag reset tools to the owner of an E39 built in 2001.
He now is asking me where the diagnosisbox is :(
Looks like in the E39 till 2000 it is in the engine room

Oil and Inspection Service light reset
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/reset-plug/reset.htm

Where is it from 2001 and how does it look?

Here a lot of info from E39
http://www.bmwtips.com/

shogun
12-15-2006, 11:05 PM
ohh, I got something from the BMW website:

Must be in driver's side legroom somehwere from 09/2000. But where exactly? Under a cover?

Für folgende E-Reihen kommt die OBD 2 Diagnosesteckdose zum Einsatz:
For following models ODB2 diagnosis boxes are used

· E46 mit Produktionsdatum ab 05/2000 (from production date 05/2000)
· E39 mit Produktionsdatum ab 09/2000 from 09/2000)
· Alle Baureihen mit Modelleinführung ab 10/2000 all models introduced from 10/2000

The ODB 2 box is in driver side legroom and replaces the old round diagnosis box in engine room.
Die OBD 2 Diagnosesteckdose befindet sich im Fahrerfußraum und ersetzt die BMW Diagnosesteckdose (rund) im Motorraum.
Service interval indication reset is done in cars with the new ODB2 in driver's leg room, via the buttons on day trip mileage counter in the cluster.

Die Service-Intervall-Anzeige - Rückstellung erfolgt bei den Fahrzeugen mit der neuen OBD 2 Diagnosesteckdose im Fahrerfußraum, über den Taster des Tageswegstreckenzählers in der Instrumentenkombination.

Bei den E-Reihen/E series

· E36
· E38
· E52

bleibt die BMW Diagnosesteckdose (rund) im Motorraum.
the diagnosis box/connector remains in the engine room

winfred
12-15-2006, 11:07 PM
it's the obdII connector by the hood release, on e38s it's next to the front cup holder with a piece of wood over it

should have a hinge open cover with "obdII" on it

shogun
12-15-2006, 11:22 PM
So it does not matter before or after 09/2000 built date?

Because abv info I found on a German page says after 09/2000 somewhere drivers legroom inside the car, maybe under dash?

Kalevera
12-15-2006, 11:41 PM
every e39 I've ever seen has it where Winfred said it is. For reference, it's about where you'd expect the gong to be on an E32/E34.

shogun
12-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Thanks,

thanks I misunderstood Winfreds comment. Thought he meant under the hood, but he mentioned hood release.

Here some more info
I translate this one I found on a German board:

BMW mit OBD2/EOBD
Alle BMW-Modelle mit Otto-Motor außer E31 und M-Fahrzeuge wurden ab Produktionsdatum 01.06.1999 auf OBD2/EOBD umgestellt (siehe Tabelle). Der genormte 16-polige Diagnosestecker befindet sich links von der Lenksäule unter dem Armaturenbrett, bei einigen Modellen unter einer Klappe. Ist zusätzlich noch der 20-polige Stecker im Motorraum vorhanden, darf dessen Kappe bei Anschluß eines OBD-Scantools nicht geöffnet oder gelöst sein.
-----------------------------------------------------------
BMW with ODB2/EOBD
all BMW models with fuel engines -except the E31- and M-cars have been updated from June 01, 1999 to OBD2/OEBD (see table (which I could not find on that page))
The standardized 16-pole diagnosis plug is at the left of the steering wheel under the dash, on some models under a cover/flap. In case there is additionally a 20-pole plug in the engine room, this plug cap should not be uncovered/losened when connecting an OBD scan tool.