PDA

View Full Version : Is your dealer reputable?

DanQ
12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
I wanted to get a feel for everyone's experience at their local dealer.

Mine, I'm not to sure on.

Here's my story:
I took my car in 10 days ago to get the state inspection done and 2 new rear tires.
I couldn't believe that the tires were cheaper at the dealer than other places I had checked. So far, so good.

Dropped the car off in the morning and off to work.
They call my house at nearly 11AM (they had my cell number) and leave a message saying that it won't pass NH state inspection due to an oil leak from the valve cover gasket.
I call them back, they tell me that it is leaking a lot of oil and the job to replace the gasket is $380, in which case, I inform them that I just did this job a few months ago so I am a bit surprised that it is leaking.
I deferred the $380 job.

Pick up the car that night and took it home.
Started thinking, why would NH require that a car not leak oil?
Checked online here (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c3200.html)
and there is no referrence to failing a car due to any fluid leaks or engine mechanicals.
Also, this states that if the car fails, they should mark the back of the registration with an "X" along with the reason of failure. This way, it is tracked and any inpsection station can ensure that you fixed the problem if you shop stations.

I check the registration, there is no mark.

Call dealer and service tech tells me he doesn't know what the rules are for inspection, he'll get the shop foreman to call me back.
Waited for 2 hrs and I call back. They inform me that he is looking up the specific blurb in the book to quote me and I inform him that I have it all printed up and will bring it in.

They call me back and tell me that they couldn't find the blurb and they made a mistake. Bring the car in for the sticker.

Looks to me like they tried to get a fast one over on me!
They picked the wrong guy to try this on :D

And to top it all off, i cleaned the motor today and got a good look at the leak, it is tiny!

WillDV
12-15-2006, 08:41 PM
I wanted to get a feel for everyone's experience at their local dealer.

Mine, I'm not to sure on.

Here's my story:
I took my car in 10 days ago to get the state inspection done and 2 new rear tires.
I couldn't believe that the tires were cheaper at the dealer than other places I had checked. So far, so good.

Dropped the car off in the morning and off to work.
They call my house at nearly 11AM (they had my cell number) and leave a message saying that it won't pass NH state inspection due to an oil leak from the valve cover gasket.
I call them back, they tell me that it is leaking a lot of oil and the job to replace the gasket is $380, in which case, I inform them that I just did this job a few months ago so I am a bit surprised that it is leaking.
I deferred the $380 job.

Pick up the car that night and took it home.
Started thinking, why would NH require that a car not leak oil?
Checked online here (http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rules/saf-c3200.html)
and there is no referrence to failing a car due to any fluid leaks or engine mechanicals.
Also, this states that if the car fails, they should mark the back of the registration with an "X" along with the reason of failure. This way, it is tracked and any inpsection station can ensure that you fixed the problem if you shop stations.

I check the registration, there is no mark.

Call dealer and service tech tells me he doesn't know what the rules are for inspection, he'll get the shop foreman to call me back.
Waited for 2 hrs and I call back. They inform me that he is looking up the specific blurb in the book to quote me and I inform him that I have it all printed up and will bring it in.

They call me back and tell me that they couldn't find the blurb and they made a mistake. Bring the car in for the sticker.

Looks to me like they tried to get a fast one over on me!
They picked the wrong guy to try this on :D

And to top it all off, i cleaned the motor today and got a good look at the leak, it is tiny!

thats balls man, I can't think of an reason for a dealer to do that unless they're not selling enough cars to make ends meet. My dealer has helped me out loads of times, the service department has a real appreciation for the older Bimmers and they like the idea of a young guy behind the wheel.

angrypancake
12-18-2006, 02:13 AM
my dealer has never shorted me once.....

CharlesAFerg
12-18-2006, 02:17 AM
my dealer has never shorted me once.....

haha, free license plate frame... *score*
lol, and they have no idea....
.Charles