PDA

View Full Version : I got REJECTED!

F4Phantom
12-15-2006, 05:18 AM
I took my car in for LPG today and got rejected. Among other things, they couldnt work out the computer, the o2 sensor, the air flap or anything else, called me up to collect the car without the conversion. So now, i just drive and guzzle.

BigKriss
12-15-2006, 05:23 AM
Can another place do the conversion?

F4Phantom
12-15-2006, 05:32 AM
maybe, i have not investigated, this guy actually seems competent as he was concerned it would blow the air meter to bits in a misfire. He had a good think about it before he called me to say no. He also employs a guy who instaled gas on mercs and bmws 20 years ago especially for cars like these. He said most people cant convert bmw's. I will give a ring around tho. I would like to find someone who really knows their stuff. BTW the boot is perfect for a 90L tank, it uses the space between the arches and leaves you with a boot much similar to other sedans.

BigKriss
12-15-2006, 05:38 AM
Fair enough!

pundit
12-15-2006, 07:10 AM
maybe, i have not investigated, this guy actually seems competent as he was concerned it would blow the air meter to bits in a misfire. He had a good think about it before he called me to say no. He also employs a guy who instaled gas on mercs and bmws 20 years ago especially for cars like these. He said most people cant convert bmw's. I will give a ring around tho. I would like to find someone who really knows their stuff. BTW the boot is perfect for a 90L tank, it uses the space between the arches and leaves you with a boot much similar to other sedans.
There was a company I rang in Dandenong about a LPG conversion.
The guy I spoke to knew E34 535's, in fact he commented they have plenty of trunk space for an 80 liter tank. I'll try and remember the name and post it.

pundit
12-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Try this mob...

All-Tek Automotive
30 Egan Rd
Dandenong
VIC, 3175

Ph: (03) 9793 5731

Fax: (03) 9706 8403

Jehu
12-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Ladies Pro Golf?

pundit
12-15-2006, 03:23 PM
maybe, i have not investigated, this guy actually seems competent as he was concerned it would blow the air meter to bits in a misfire.
That's one of the advantages of sequential gas injection... no backfires!

Paul in NZ
12-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Ladies Pro Golf?
Liquid Petroleum Gas,you guys call it Propane I think

Morgenster
12-16-2006, 04:53 AM
I understand the guy doesn't want to risk it, but even with this system backfires (if they happen) can be deviated through a backfire release valve.

The system is pretty simple: you put a one-way valve along your intake system that will only open when the pressure in the intake manifold becomes positive (during backfire).

I don't quite get it. Why is he suddenly reluctant to do this if he installs this type of system in other cars. The risk of backfire is inherent to the system, not the car.

genphreak
12-16-2006, 05:25 AM
I've seen quite a few M30s with this conversion- ie a standard setup without Sequential injection.

Best way to go is probanly to swap to a Megasquirt ECU and then go with a sequential setup... that way they can't find a reason not to, it'd be a dream conversion for them!

F4Phantom
12-16-2006, 05:52 AM
the guy said he cant fit the back fire thing inline after the air mass and there is another sensor there too. He said there is not enough room. I will be calling the dandynong guys tho and see what they charge, with any luck they may be even cheaper with a better job. I really cant fork out for injection although I would love that system.

Jon K
12-16-2006, 10:26 AM
He secretly works for Exxon

skr
12-16-2006, 12:02 PM
damn, this LPG trend is realy growing. i see you people don't have the respect related problems round here. as in if u drive a nice car on LPG you will surely have a lot of people laughing at you. it's considered a poor redneck thing. oh and them LPG drivers get stuff like : "Buy a f*&^*n' Yaris , cheap ass mo^(&^fu&%& !!!". seams like you are more open minded bout this :)

BillionPa
12-16-2006, 12:21 PM
a yaris doesnt have a "go" switch where you can up the power (turn off lpg, turn petrol back on) and burn the tires now does it?

now this:
http://www.millerperformancecars.com/mfsm30.html
would allow sequential injection of the propane while maintaining the sequential injection of gasoline if i am not mistaken. of course you will need to find some bosch CNG injectors for it, and set up your EMS really spot on to get it to work, but damn you would save a ton on gas.

you could even tune it to use gasoline in acceleration situations or high rpms, so there wouldnt be a possibility of backfire from the propane injection system.

i want to do something similar, but opposite of intended application. small amounts of propane injection would allow better fuel distribution in the combustion chamber, increasing engine performance. this is especially noticable on diesel engines, where i have seen digital propane injections double the amount of torque.

skr
12-16-2006, 07:01 PM
i know, i know, sequential injection is nicer tan the rest of the systems, it's just an "anti trend" going on here. first cars to get LPG here were 4 banger 1.4 carbs , they droped from 60 hp to 40 hp, and the life expectancy of a freshly ringed, nex pistons, new sleeves, new anything block dropped from around 150k to around 70 k. after those the rednecks came. they threw cheap LPG on w124 mercs and E30's and other stuff and realy f*&^%d them up. then it turnad into a redneck trend. After all the rednecks got LPG the cabbies pushed in 1 step forward and put LPG on 0.8L 3cyl m-tec daewoo engines that used to put out 48 hp and now put out around 35 on LPG. (i know, it's sick) . then came the 2nd wave of rednecks. those had some cash, but they were cheap ass mf's. those put 300$ Lpg kits on E39's and 2000-2001 E-class's...fu&^d them up real quick. so, you see, it's kinda obvious there is no respect for LPG in my country. i know a nicely done conversion, with quality parts is something else but it just doesn't happen round here.
anyway i wish u luck in your quest for low mpg, just hope it gets done right.

F4Phantom
12-16-2006, 08:45 PM
In Australia 40% of our fuel stations infastructure carries LPG. nearly every second family ford or holden is LPG. All Taxis are LPG. As far as I know we dont have any real issues running LPG and killing engines, then again we are not using $300 systems. I really have never considered LPG cars as a lower class of people. Mostly if you buy a small car you dont use it, but if you have a large 6 or v8 its very common. Lot of rangies and disco v8's have LPG. I would say its considered the smart choice for people who can afford the conversion. That whole redneck trailer trash thing is the first I have ever heard anyone negative about LPG. Our prime minister is giving anyone in the country 2k for a conversion (even if the converson only costs a total of $1500) and if you buy a new car on LPG you get 1k. Ford even sell dedicated LPG falcons from the factory. I will say however that I have not seen many (a few) BMWs on gas.