PDA

View Full Version : Chevron PurEscape and Liqui-Moly Speedtec, etc

BillionPa
12-15-2006, 03:42 AM
so.. i decided to start lighting stuff on fire.

i put a bunch of gas additives in a little ceramic thing one at a time and lit em with a butane torch. here are the results!

Chevron PurEscape and LM Speedtec:
a bit hard to ignite, but once it got going, boy did it get going!
the burning fumes smelled like a charcoal grill, and after about 10s there was a LOT of brown residue. the flames were also very dirty. those chemicals burn HOT HOT HOT!!!
the speedtec residue seemed easier to clean off the ceramic though
the chemicals also seemed to creep out of the little bowl and get under it while burning.

a little info on those two (hence the thread title):
they are supposed to improve performance by allowing peak combustion closer to TDC... or something. Chevron says its the "first and only!!!!!!!111" blah blah, which is total crap because i have seen Speedtec for sale since before PurEscape was even a retail product. go germany!

Acetone:
ignited instantly, burned spotlessly clean, didnt get the bowl too hot.

Stabil gas stabilizer:
refused to ignite

Lucas upper cylinder lube and injector cleaner:
refused to ignite

FP60:
refused to ignite

Chevron Pro-Gard fuel injector cleaner:
was very hard to ignite, then went out pathetically

Seafoam:
ignited quick, with clean flames, burned for a while then went out, leaving an oily liquid with no isopropanol alcohol smell at the bottom, about 20% volume of the original sample, with a slight blue coloration

keep in mind these results dont tell you how they react or how they are supposed to react when used in small concentration with gasoline inside the piston of an internal combusion engine, although the brown gunk of the TDC performance enhancers makes me think very hard about using them, and if i do use them, it will be in combination with acetone and fuel system cleaner. as for the gas stabilizer and lubricants, the fact that they dont ignite is a positive, as it means they are less volatile.

Russell
12-15-2006, 07:49 AM
I used FP60 and thought I had a bit better smoothness, power and fuel mileage. Plugs were very clean while using it. I ran out of FP60 and have not bought any more as FP 3000 is just coming out and wanted to see what people thought before purchasing either.

ryan roopnarine
12-15-2006, 10:18 AM
none of those is supposed to ignite on its own, if you look at the seafoam bottle, it says that it must be combined with 50% gasoline to be used in a fuel injection cleaner. considering the fact that none of these things is intended to be used without a phase change (ie atomization when it goes through the fuel injector), burning them might not be too helpful in determining behavior--unless, of course, you have a chart of what each chemical in fuel injector cleaner does what, and you are trying for a certain composition in your cleaner...f.e., i need at least 50% acetone, 25% toluene, &c. &c. perhaps if you have the spare time you could mix them with gasoline and see what differs.