PDA

View Full Version : headlight upgrades

markus
12-14-2006, 07:23 PM
can someone recomend me some good plug in bulbs for my 540i? i have the ellipsiloids. Im not looking to spend $500 on an HID kit either. I heard you can modify 9005 bulbs to fit. Has anyone done this and can stock wiring handle it? That would be great since they are the same bulbs used as the high beams right?

Jr ///M5
12-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Here's the procedure from Bruno's site for the 9005 conversion. It works best with a dremel, but it can be done with a utility knife. http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/more_light.htm

The bulbs you choose to use is up to you, the Sylvania Cool Blue works well, and then there are more expensive bulbs to choose.

Essentially, you are using an unshielded bulb on the ellipsoid light (which has the shield built in) it does make a big difference. You should re-aim your headlights after installation. Aiming procedures can be found on Bruno's site also.

Hope this helps...

JR

markus
12-14-2006, 10:45 PM
thank you.

Milkboot
12-14-2006, 10:45 PM
If you dont want to do the converting of the 9005's I had a friend that worked at AutoZone give me a pair of the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra's still 55w but i did notice quite a bit of differnce over the stock original bulbs that were in my car. ofcourse they were free, so that might be what made them better ;)

swenpro
12-14-2006, 11:19 PM
If you dont want to do the converting of the 9005's I had a friend that worked at AutoZone give me a pair of the Sylvania Silver Star Ultra's still 55w but i did notice quite a bit of differnce over the stock original bulbs that were in my car. ofcourse they were free, so that might be what made them better ;)

economic principle: there's no such thing as free lunch. Who payed for your bulbs?? ;)

t_marat
12-15-2006, 08:24 AM
as you are talking of ellipsoids 9005 bulbs should fit into my euro spec car, right?
is this the bulb you are talking about?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SYLVANIA-SILVERSTAR-ULTRA-HEADLIGHTS-9005-SU-2-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ007QQitem Z170060213007QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Tiger
12-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Markus, if your headlight was like mine... really pitted glass, you will not benefit with any bulbs. Your best bet is to change that headlight lens... they are sold on eBay... acrylic version. You will notice vast difference after changiing the lens.

If you like better bulb, 9005 is not really a good choice, I did that and notice brighter light but probably worse light pattern on the road. Plus, 9005 bulb does not last long... if you do alot of nighttime driving, you will see it burn out in short time.

Better bulb would be something like +30, +50, or something like Xtravision... not something that cost $40 a light bulb.

If I were to do HID, I would first change your headlight lenses... then put in a 9006 HID kit that is available today... that that would run about $400 total... which is a far difference from $1600 I spent 5+ years ago with new headlight kit. Even though I spent that money long ago... it is so worth it.