PDA

View Full Version : OT: BMW German Models

BFEINZIMER
12-14-2006, 06:14 PM
So I was passing some time looking at the BMW.de site and I realized, do the German's have different series model #'s? Or is it just the 5 series sedan and touring? Is it because other countries like us in the USA have the 525i 2.5 liters, the 550i 5.0 liters? There is no clear distunguishing on the BMW.de site? So how does it work over there?

LunatiC
12-14-2006, 07:18 PM
On the site, no. But if you download their tech specs in PDF format from here:
http://www.bmw.de/de/produkte/automobiles/5er/limousine/index.html

You will see all the different models they have. If anything, they would have a wider range of models to choose from -- BMW just pick and choose which ones to export to countries such as the US and the rest of the world.

They did this with the E34 as well -- don't quote me on this, but I don't believe the 518i ever made it to US shores (at least it didn't here in Australia, unless it was personally imported), however they do exist in Germany and parts of Europe.

So I was passing some time looking at the BMW.de site and I realized, do the German's have different series model #'s? Or is it just the 5 series sedan and touring? Is it because other countries like us in the USA have the 525i 2.5 liters, the 550i 5.0 liters? There is no clear distunguishing on the BMW.de site? So how does it work over there?

shogun
12-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Every car maker does the same.
It depends on many factors what will be sold in each country.
Just one example:
In Italy the car tax for cars with more than 2 liter engine volume are taxed much higher. That is why for Italy often special engine with a volume of less than 2 litres were sold, but with turbo charger or other options.
Then there are the fuel prices and differences between fuel/gas and diesel.
So in Europe much more diesel cars were sold because of difference in price.
Income in individual countries is also important. So in countries with less income cheaper versions were offered, and so on.
E32 730 straight six and later 730 V8 have never been exported to USA, as in USA engines with larger volume were apparently prefered, as least that was the idea of the strategic experts in BMW.
It does not make sense for the car makers to sell only a few cars of a certain model to one country, because the cost for testing and getting approval is too high.