PDA

View Full Version : OT: SCA's for coolant eg Fleet guard's DCA 4

rob101
12-14-2006, 05:13 AM
I was wondering whether anyone here has any experience with Supplimental Coolant Additives such as DCA 4. I was thinking that Winfred might as I thought he runs a Cummins in his Dodge.
Just been wondering about it because we dose up the coolant on our machinery at my work and it seems like if you can't change the coolant that its not a bad idea in the short term. Although i must admit I am not 100% sure of the pros and cons of these things.

Anyway yes i am a nut but since someone bought up pH of coolant a while ago i figured why not ask.
heres a little linky to some stuff i found on it (http://www.imcool.com/articles/antifreeze-coolant/SCA-Part1.htm)

ryan roopnarine
12-14-2006, 07:55 AM
dee-zel people usually have to run a very specific type of antifreeze because of cavitation and whatnot, i'd doubt that any manufacturer of any heavy diesel equipment would allow somebody to run a non-oem coolant additive without voiding their warrany. caterpillar, et al certainly wouldn't.

rob101
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
ah i see, well i saw that some of the coolants that use SCAs are low silicate. However I remember hearing a while ago that automotive benzes runs some sort of additive or that could have just been BS.
still interested in hearing anyone's experience with it.