PDA

View Full Version : So I'm gonna say F it...

BFEINZIMER
12-14-2006, 01:54 AM
So **** the guy who sold me the crappy Hella EE's...I'm gonna get BRAND NEW ones for xmas. So I'm thinking to myself, when I put those in, why not put in HID's at the same time.

Looking for 4300 or 5000k's (so I dont get rolled), how does this kit look to you guys?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-Philips-5000K-HID-Kit-Kits-Xenon-conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQihZ01 4QQitemZ330061725379QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

Aside from def. talking to Tim, (TC535i), anyone else have any input?

PS, so I changed my fuel filter today, my shop teacher said I did not need to clamp the lines, and I ended up with gas all over myself. The good part about auto is that I had like 3 other people helping me get the new one in, without minimal spilage.

shogun
12-14-2006, 02:00 AM
Tell your shop teacher:
With the engine running, remove the fuel pump fuse. A few seconds later the engine will cut out, but you will have reduced the pressure in the pipes. Now switch off the ignition.

Then you have not much spill.

danielhstout
12-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Or just take out the fuse then turn the engine over a few times. It will just sputter and die. Same concept though... Just a little less sketchy in my opinion. For no good reason really.

BillionPa
12-14-2006, 04:31 AM
do it! 5000K is the pure white color, whereas 6000 has a slight blue tint and 4300 has a slight yellow tint (even though the post says that about the 5000)

Macv
12-14-2006, 06:57 AM
6000 is where it's at. EE's and 6000k is what I have.

As for where you're getting them from, sounds good, I've had two of my friends buy from that seller and were very happy.

Qube
12-14-2006, 07:30 AM
Want light? Ok 5000k. Want to be a little bit different? Go 5000k... that will enhance the blue/purple cutoff fringe even more without being "poser-xenox-overwattage-bulb-blue" like.

Alexlind123
12-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Or just take out the fuse then turn the engine over a few times. It will just sputter and die. Same concept though... Just a little less sketchy in my opinion. For no good reason really.

That actually sounds like a better idea to me. I have removed the fuse while the engine was running numerous times for injectors, fuel filter and fuel level sender; and i never feel too good about the engine sputtering and vibrating as it dies. Next time i will just crank the engine with the fuse out.

Alexlind123
12-14-2006, 09:46 AM
BTW, clamping hoses on cars of this age is probably not a good idea unless they have been replaced recently, thats probably why your shop teacher recommended against it.

TC535i
12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Any news on the braking noise? Top up the power steering fluid yet?

TC535i
12-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Too much $$ on the HID kit. PM me, I'll get you set up with a set way cheaper.

BTW, are you getting normal headlights or smoked?

ryan roopnarine
12-14-2006, 10:40 AM
its a big-@ss fuel fuel filter, you'd spill fuel with our without clamps. depressurizing it by taking the fuel pump fuse out only helps make it less messy.

BFEINZIMER
12-14-2006, 01:42 PM
yea that was it thaknks it worked right away and was a hugh relief to me,i just wanna know why it was leaking so quickly if allthe fluids were "topped off" a few months ago

Any news on the braking noise? Top up the power steering fluid yet?

Too much $$ on the HID kit. PM me, I'll get you set up with a set way cheaper.

BTW, are you getting normal headlights or smoked?

yea, it will still eb phillips with 5000k rite? i can only get the euros new as smoked not new, buti think it will look pretty dank

TC535i
12-14-2006, 02:19 PM
yea that was it thaknks it worked right away and was a hugh relief to me,i just wanna know why it was leaking so quickly if allthe fluids were "topped off" a few months ago

yea, it will still eb phillips with 5000k rite? i can only get the euros new as smoked not new, buti think it will look pretty dank
Glad the PS problem solved it. Dunno about the top up, just check it on occasion, and tighten those hose clamps a bit.

It won't be philips, but it'll be quite a bit cheaper and lifetime warranty. Been running it over a year in my car, and 2 years in a friends, no issues at all.

Yeah, I think you can only get smoked new now... I'm thinking about putting a smoke coating on my clear ones... think it might look good with my dark car. Not willing to spend $500 on em tho, but if Santa dropped em under my tree, I sure as hell wouldn't complain!

Jon K
12-14-2006, 03:36 PM

Cutting fuel pressure at idle will not harm a motor.

BFEINZIMER
12-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Glad the PS problem solved it. Dunno about the top up, just check it on occasion, and tighten those hose clamps a bit.

It won't be philips, but it'll be quite a bit cheaper and lifetime warranty. Been running it over a year in my car, and 2 years in a friends, no issues at all.

Yeah, I think you can only get smoked new now... I'm thinking about putting a smoke coating on my clear ones... think it might look good with my dark car. Not willing to spend $500 on em tho, but if Santa dropped em under my tree, I sure as hell wouldn't complain!

oic, shoot me an pm with a quote and stuff and yea, that sounds all good, i might evemn drive up to la if ya wanna help me install em with mounthing and drilling holes in the caps n all...and yea ima get the smoked, but liek we talked at the meet they dont do the entire glass, so light output is not compromised....

i think i would like the smoked look...

anyone wanna photshop my sig pic?

TC535i
12-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Well, I've never really "inspected" one, but I do know about the "metal cross" in the highbeam, not sure how they work the lowbeam.

I think the other HID's will be in the ~$200-250 ballpark, full warranty, whatever color temp you want.

No photoshop here at work, can't help you on that one.

saj3n
12-14-2006, 07:33 PM
my thoughts exactly, i've seen much cheaper kits out there as well...

TC535i
12-14-2006, 07:38 PM
my thoughts exactly, i've seen much cheaper kits out there as well...
There will always be cheaper kits, but after a point you sacrifice too much quality and it's no longer worth it. I've found these kits to be great quality for the price, and carry a lifetime warranty that's actually backed up by a good company. I've had friends that needed ballasts replaced, and had no problem obtaining a new one.

McWatters
12-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Heh. i just recently changed my fuel filter in my auto class as well, my teacher said the same thing. but i read up here earlier. didnt wanna pull a fuse so i just pinched em. my clamp was sure a bitch. rusted bolts

cheers

J.McWatters

BFEINZIMER
12-15-2006, 03:26 AM
There will always be cheaper kits, but after a point you sacrifice too much quality and it's no longer worth it. I've found these kits to be great quality for the price, and carry a lifetime warranty that's actually backed up by a good company. I've had friends that needed ballasts replaced, and had no problem obtaining a new one.

I woudlent believe the "I've had friends" part if I hadent met you in person Tim, haha its a relief, what brand, website?

Heh. i just recently changed my fuel filter in my auto class as well, my teacher said the same thing. but i read up here earlier. didnt wanna pull a fuse so i just pinched em. my clamp was sure a bitch. rusted bolts

cheers

J.McWatters

My bolt was nto rusted but somehow we had a bitch of a time getting it off with 3 guys + myself. Then the fuel started to pour it was crazy. When I started the car the lack of fuel in the system caused the engine to run VERY rough for about 5 minutes it seemed, I thought I was out of gas, because it seemed liek alot came out, and I was almost empty. Scary lol

aston_jag_tech
12-15-2006, 03:34 AM
rust in cali Brian, you should see the rust back in the midwest, ooo weeee!!!

BillionPa
12-15-2006, 03:43 AM
im gonna need to replace my entire hood and door next year because of rust. yay!

TC535i
12-15-2006, 10:29 AM
I woudlent believe the "I've had friends" part if I hadent met you in person Tim, haha its a relief, what brand, website?
I like Apexcone's stuff... www.apexcone.com

Local guy, and great warranty. If you call, ask for Leif (pronounced LAYf), tell him Tim and Kim referred you.