PDA

View Full Version : Need info on memory seats and auto-dip pass. mirror in reverse

TC535i
12-12-2006, 12:22 PM
My 540i has both of these, and neither work.

Memory seats... it has them, but they don't work. If I hit the "memory" button to "teach" it a position, it doesn't light up. Should it?

Reverse mirror... my car has the wrong mirror on the passenger side. It's an early E34 mirror, put on there by a previous owner. It's not even plugged in, since the connectors are different. I'm looking into buying replica M5 mirrors, with the motor/glass included. Here's my question... Is the reverse mirror dip function TOTALLY located outside the mirror assembly? Like, there's a brain somewhere that tells it to lower a certain amount, then allows it to return where it was once you're out of reverse? Or would the motor matter in this case? Will this function still work with the knockoff mirrors?

Any info you guys have on these would be great... along with figuring out why my radio displays on the dash and my OBC doesn't, and a couple other issues with the new car... :)

-Tim

Rus
12-12-2006, 12:26 PM
If I remember correctly, someone on this forum mentioned that the mirrors have sensors built in to accomodate proper positioning when controlled automatically. If an M5 came with this option, then I'd suspect that the mirrors would be capable of interfacing with your 540i harness and computer. Just my $.02

TC535i
12-12-2006, 12:34 PM
If I remember correctly, someone on this forum mentioned that the mirrors have sensors built in to accomodate proper positioning when controlled automatically. If an M5 came with this option, then I'd suspect that the mirrors would be capable of interfacing with your 540i harness and computer. Just my $.02

Hmm... so maybe the knockoffs wouldn't work, huh? :(

Denton
12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
FWIW, I was browsing the group buys section on Bf.C and there was a GB for M3 Style" mirrors. The E34 was included.

The product description mentioned that these mirrors retained the reverse dip function of the 540, that's it's a seperate pin. I'd say that if you got another set of 540i mirrors, or late M5 mirrors, or these mirrors, you'd be in the clear. But that's only my speculation.

Can't really help ya on the memory seats.

TC535i
12-12-2006, 01:26 PM
FWIW, I was browsing the group buys section on Bf.C and there was a GB for M3 Style" mirrors. The E34 was included.

The product description mentioned that these mirrors retained the reverse dip function of the 540, that's it's a seperate pin. I'd say that if you got another set of 540i mirrors, or late M5 mirrors, or these mirrors, you'd be in the clear. But that's only my speculation.

Can't really help ya on the memory seats.

Yeah, I asked in that thread and the answer was "E34 has that? Oh yeah, I think it'll work..." Not exactly convincing.

Just saw this post from an E39 guy... Maybe it does work?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7769245&postcount=116

Denton
12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I'd bet that it does work. I can't imagine it being a much different setup in the E39.

Those E39 M5 mirrors look great on that Touring. Damn.

TC535i
12-12-2006, 01:43 PM
I may just have to get one of the sets off ebay... this guy's starting to piss me off, not responding to questions about pictures, posts, emails... not good.

swenpro
12-12-2006, 02:11 PM
My 540i has both of these, and neither work.

Memory seats... it has them, but they don't work. If I hit the "memory" button to "teach" it a position, it doesn't light up. Should it?

Reverse mirror... my car has the wrong mirror on the passenger side. It's an early E34 mirror, put on there by a previous owner. It's not even plugged in, since the connectors are different. I'm looking into buying replica M5 mirrors, with the motor/glass included. Here's my question... Is the reverse mirror dip function TOTALLY located outside the mirror assembly? Like, there's a brain somewhere that tells it to lower a certain amount, then allows it to return where it was once you're out of reverse? Or would the motor matter in this case? Will this function still work with the knockoff mirrors?

Any info you guys have on these would be great... along with figuring out why my radio displays on the dash and my OBC doesn't, and a couple other issues with the new car... :)

-Tim

Your telescoping steering wheel probably doesn't work either. Telescoping, memory seat, and reverse mirror are all connected together to the memory seat module (black box) beneath your driver seat. If your wiring or module has issues, all three of these functions will quit working. Also, remember the mirror switch (for adjusting mirror position) must be sitting in the left position for the reverse mirror function to work.

TC535i
12-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Your telescoping steering wheel probably doesn't work either. Telescoping, memory seat, and reverse mirror are all connected together to the memory seat module (black box) beneath your driver seat. If your wiring or module has issues, all three of these functions will quit working. Also, remember the mirror switch (for adjusting mirror position) must be sitting in the left position for the reverse mirror function to work.

Thanks for the suggestion... but the power telescoping (forward and back) function works. Any other guesses? Also, you're referring to the box under the rear seat, right?

The mirror isn't even plugged in on the right, I know that's the problem... it's an early E34 mirror, different connector. That's why I'm getting new mirrors, and looking at the M5 replicas.

cmk
12-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I've got both seat memory module and auto-dip pass mirror.

I had the seat mem module get flaky about 5 yrs ago. I took the module out and apart and found that the IC board the button push on had slipped down in the case. Pushed the IC back into position, couple dabs of crazy glue to hold it, and everything works again. There's not a lot inside them to go bad.

No idea if replica mirrors would work.
FWIW i don't believe they 'auto-sense'. Someone physcially moved mine and it threw the motor off (auto-dip would try to move it down farther than it could go, you'd here the gears slip - ugly sound) until i readjusted it.

TC535i
12-12-2006, 05:24 PM
I've got both seat memory module and auto-dip pass mirror.

I had the seat mem module get flaky about 5 yrs ago. I took the module out and apart and found that the IC board the button push on had slipped down in the case. Pushed the IC back into position, couple dabs of crazy glue to hold it, and everything works again. There's not a lot inside them to go bad.

No idea if replica mirrors would work.
FWIW i don't believe they 'auto-sense'. Someone physcially moved mine and it threw the motor off (auto-dip would try to move it down farther than it could go, you'd here the gears slip - ugly sound) until i readjusted it.

Where's this IC board/seat mem module located? Back seat, or inside that switch panel? Any pics of location/insides?

That's what I figured with the mirror... the computer "knows" the amount of travel available, and just adjusts based on that, sounds like.

Thanks!

Kalevera
12-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Everything in the system has potentiometers. Mirrors (everything but the glass) are unique to memory cars, even the housings won't interchange. So make sure you get memory mirrors if replacing them...

Checking the MCM is an excellent idea -- they are known to fail and many have been replaced. Checking the internals sounds like a good idea, I've never done it. It's mounted to the driver's seat bottom frame.

As someone said, when one of the parts in the system fails, things tend to get screwy. Functions will reverse intended operation, work sporadically, or not at all. First thing to do is disconnect the MCM completely, then reconnect it to initialize the system. Otherwise, replace the MCM or start checking wiring. I have the wiring diagram around here somewhere.

To my knowledge, no US spec E34 M5 came with memory.

shogun
12-12-2006, 10:19 PM
sometimes it helps to search on my website, and then one could find for example this :D
http://www.hyrumswebsite.com/BMW_pdfs/smm.pdf

TC535i
12-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Oooooh... pretty! Thanks for the pdf, I'll use that to poke around. I'll definitely start by unplugging/reconnecting, see if that does anything.

Is the memory module fused anywhere you guys can see?

zibello
12-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Hi Tim,
I am not sure it may be of any help. In relation to the mirrors, the memory device is located inside the mirrors. These are different from the normal electric ones. Pre face-lifting mirrors can be bought for little money on ebay.de. Post face lifting and M type are more expensive. Before getting them, just be sure that they have the memory device.
As far as the automatic dimming upon reverse is concerned, I believe that this is function located on the gear lever. But not sure, better double check with someone who knows it.
Cheers
Gio

Johntee540
12-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Hmm... so maybe the knockoffs wouldn't work, huh? :(

I couldn't get them to work. I even had my electronics guy try to "hotwire" them into the Memory Computers. No Luck.

He is the same guy that added the Central Locking PC Board from my 540 Mirror into the circuits of an Electrochromatic Mirror from a e32 and still have the Central Locking work - even better than it did before. He's good. If he can't do it - then it must be hard to do. - JT

Johntee540
12-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I'd bet that it does work. I can't imagine it being a much different setup in the E39.

Those E39 M5 mirrors look great on that Touring. Damn.

The e34 uses a totally different networking protocol for the computer stuff than the e39 (IBuss). I think its a totally different set up than the e39. - JT