PDA

View Full Version : Damn...another Yoko toasted.

billb
12-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Bought new Yoko AVS dB S2s for the 525 last April 2005. Had one pick up a screw right where the sidewall meets the tread about 2 months later. Road hazard replaced it (less a few bucks). I was taking Monday off so my wife could work for a few hours at the medical office she works part-time for and make some holiday bucks. Walked out to the garage to get the stroller from the trunk of the E34 to take care of the tots that day, and noticed the left rear tire bulging at the sidewall. Damn.

Sent the wife off in the Explorer while I swapped the tires on the E34. Road hazard for sure. Noticed what looked like a nail in the tread, angled towards the bulge in the sidewall. Hmmm...

Called the road hazard folks at Tire Rack. Tires bought in April 2005; first year is "free" replacement, but it's a 36-month prorated deal, so basically I'm at the 53% point. What money will I get back? $33. Wow. So, I go to buy a new tire online at TireRack, then I recall the post a bit ago about discontinued Yoko AVS dB S2's. Oops. Tire Rack has none in-stock online. Called them up, and they had 2 in Louisiana. I only need one, and the tires only have about 9000 miles on them, so I don't think it'll make that much difference left to right, to need an axle set. Wasn't ready to buy four yet, and want to determine what to get next.

Took the wheel and tire over to my Tire Rack installer yesterday for him to make the confirmation call to the Road Hazard folks, that, yes, it was actually a road hazard claim. Him on the phone with the road hazard folks: "Yes mam, there is a piece of welding rod stuck through the tread, and impacting the outer sidewall causing it to leak air into the sidewall" (but the tire did not go flat after this impact!)

I'm just so glad I happened to do a walk-around before she left for work on a high-speed freeway yesterday morning, when it surely would have let go and toasted the tire, wheel, and perhaps caused her to lose control and wreck...:(

Check those wheels and tires often folks. I am glad I did.

New tire will be here tomorrow. This car is a flat-magnet.

Denton
12-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Wow, that's crazy. I need to check my tires before I do my 550 mile journey tomorrow!

And your 525i is 5/94? That's the earliest I've seen!

rickm
12-12-2006, 01:54 PM
My wife had some Michelins on her Volvo, within a year she picked up a pair of vice grips (honey, it's ok to swerve around stuff in the road), a large bolt and tie down strap. I think metal went out of it's way to get to those tires. :/

rickm
12-12-2006, 02:01 PM
My wife had some Michelins on her Volvo, within a year she picked up a pair of vice grips (honey, it's ok to swerve around stuff in the road), a large bolt and tie down strap. I think metal went out of it's way to get to those tires. :/

billb
12-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Handed him wheel with old tire on it, and new tire. He mounted it backwards (Did you even LOOK at the old tire before taking it off???)

Also, he didn't take off the stick-on weights that were on the wheel before putting his own new ones on the rim. Duh. Not taking the car there again. I should have stuck with my original plan, taking it to the guy that runs the local Hubcap Heaven and is a SCCA/CCA instructor.

Argh. BTW, no, the AVS dB S2 is not carried by Tire Rack anymore. :(