PDA

View Full Version : Bimmer magazine - worth the trouble?

mikell
12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
I just got a glossy solicitation to subscribe to Bimmer Magazine. I am not really eager to have another magazine, but the promo they sent makes it look interesting. Anyone read this? Is it good enough that I'll think it's worth the time to read it?

Russell
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
IMO, the best. Past issues have had purchasing guides for almost all the popular BMW models including the e28, e34 and e39. Always some sort of interesting info. I find it more useful than the Roundel from BMWCCA. Just my opinion.

TC535i
12-12-2006, 11:22 AM
And my girlfriend's car got a 5-pg spread in the Feb 07 issue. Reason enough for me! :)

BMWCCA1
12-12-2006, 11:50 AM
It's a good magazine worthy of adding to your BMW reading list. Of course at least five of their listed "contributors" are the same writers who you may be used to reading in Roundel. Most of these pull double-duty with Bimmer, so I may not be the most objective critic on the content. Of course I'd suggest it as a supplement to BMW CCA membership since membership includes local chapter membership and events, as well as the monthly Roundel magazine, and these are the true advantages of BMW CCA membership. And remember, a Bimmer subscription is for only eight issues a year, unlike the twelve you get with Roundel and your BMW CCA membership (their current issue is already February 2007, for instance, there was no January...or September...or... And Bimmer has fewer pages and a higher ad-to-editorial ratio than Roundel, if that matters to you.).

Roundel is a bit more than a magazine subscription; in fact it's not a subscription at all and you can only get it by joining BMW CCA (http://bmwcca.org). It's a lot like life: You get out of it what you're willing to put into it. Remind me: Which magazine had an article about the E34 meet??

Antrieb
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Good magazine but they put the February issue out in November :shifty

OneBeLow
12-12-2006, 12:49 PM
And my girlfriend's car got a 5-pg spread in the Feb 07 issue. Reason enough for me! :)

this her by chance?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7205/mcoupehatch3hr.jpg

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645868

Antrieb
12-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Yep thats Kim

TC535i
12-12-2006, 01:23 PM
this her by chance?

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/7205/mcoupehatch3hr.jpg

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645868
Maybe. I have no idea who that handsome gent in her avatar is... ;)

I took that picture. :)

mikell
12-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks, guys - I'll give it a shot. I'm already a BMWCCA member, so Roundel is a fixture for me - I love the high quality photos.

attack eagle
12-12-2006, 02:27 PM
I dunno. I'm still on the fence. I got my 1 trial issue, and about 2 weeks later a second issue. I thought, "cool they sent me the new one instead of the one i already have had for a month".

I wasn't sure If I was interested, so I didn't re up. Now I got a note and they want me to buy the other 6 issues for $20. Um, no, Bimmer. you sent me a month+ old issue after the new one came out as a trial. Then you made it right and sent me the current issue. SIO I say no thanks, maybe I'll subscribe some other day...

Russell
12-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Sounds like I offended you. Did not mean to do so. the reason I find the Roundel not as useful is I find the articles seem less interesting to the "mechanic" side of me. I am not very interested in monthly local chapter "club" meetings or most of the social events. Just me. BTW, I do read both.

OneBeLow
12-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Maybe. I have no idea who that handsome gent in her avatar is... ;)

I took that picture. :)

so your the beer swillin underwear theif huh, biggups

props on her ride, too, well deserved.

TC535i
12-12-2006, 03:45 PM

Thanks. That's a fun car... :D

markus
12-12-2006, 07:51 PM
IMO US BMW magazines suck ass. Boring to read and not very helpful. I noticed Bimmer has the buying guides but thast about it. Total BMW is the best. Its about $9 an issue but its a lot more interesting to read. They have DIY articles. Buying guides every issue and write about the BMWs we never saw here. Like Alpina B10 Bi Turbos and stuff.

Russell
12-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Tell us more!. What county is it published in and how to get copies? Sounds interesting.

markus
12-12-2006, 08:26 PM
its printed in the UK. Last time I checked Barnes wanted 9.25 a copy. Real nice mag. I have a whole stack of em in my room. Barnes and noble sells em. im suprised nobody mentioned it.

92E34
12-12-2006, 08:31 PM
I was just at a Borders and they had a Performance BMW mag. Looked awesome. The center spread was a 850 with a small block chevy instead of the V12.

Russell
12-12-2006, 09:02 PM
BMW Scene Live was published in the US in 2003. Seems like it was translated from German. Is it still published? It was quite heavy on "modified/ugly" european BMWs rather blinged out.

BMWCCA1
12-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Sounds like I offended you. Did not mean to do so. the reason I find the Roundel not as useful is I find the articles seem less interesting to the "mechanic" side of me. I am not very interested in monthly local chapter "club" meetings or most of the social events. Just me. BTW, I do read both.

No offense taken. In recent memory Roundel has covered headlight upgrades, clutch installation, gearbox problems and solutions on M50-engined cars, and the best article on diagnostic equipment available to the general public that you'll find anywhere. Beyond the magazine, BMW CCA member services include ombudsmen and technical advisors as close as your phone. Local chapters put on literally hundreds of on-track driving schools, autocrosses, rallies every year in addition to safety schools for teen drivers. All of this is done by volunteers who are owners, just like you, and willing to help, or hold your beer for you while you do the work. All that is included in your membership fee that brings Roundel to your door.

As I said, you get out of it what you put in it. Probably 70,000 members just join for Roundel. The rest of us spend their money on having fun with BMWs.

94is
12-14-2006, 10:57 AM

Isn't that a glorious pic of him? :p

markus
12-14-2006, 07:04 PM
performance bmw and bmw scene i dont go for because thats what it all is. blinged out E36s or E46s. IMO boring. I rather see a nice stock Alpina E28 or read about a 635CSi Motorsport.