PDA

View Full Version : another problem along with my shimmy

sirius_GTO
12-11-2006, 05:36 PM
So I've just ordered lemforder upper control arms and 750il Bushings for the 525i. This problem has been with me since mileage 215K and now it's at 245K.

The thing is, I'm not only getting the typical symptoms of shaking VIOLENTLY at 45-65 mph but I'm also getting WOBBLING at lower speeds from 10 mph to 30 mph.

if I'm turning and going at that slow speeds, I'll feel rhythmic tugging in my steering wheels.

Did I damage my bushings really bad and that's why I'm having these lower speeds problems as well?

Or did I damage something else in the meantime?

rickm
12-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Have you had your tires balanced recently? I had a slight shimmy that was around after I changed my arms/bushings. Went to a local shop that had a Hunter balancer. Got everything rebalanced, no shimmy at all. Now I get a little on some roads but it's barely noticeable.

Felixdacat
12-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Did you check to see if you lugs were loose on you wheels? also you might want to check the power steering fluid to see if it is low.

sirius_GTO
12-11-2006, 07:06 PM
all of those sound like inexpensive fixes. I was looking more into major problems that could be causing this. What about Tie-rods? I notice when I jack up my car, I can move the wheels left and right about 1/2 an inch or so. Is this a sign that my tie rod is out? thanks

Felixdacat
12-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Do you have a steering rack ( rack and pinion) or Steering box like my 89 535i? If rack. could be inner and outer tie rods, and if box. just might need to adjust the adjustment screw. Is there alot of play in the steering wheel? Always look at the easy stuff first. Saves alot of money, and time.

632 Regal
12-12-2006, 06:16 AM
nut behind the wheel, any play will cause a wobble. I think the slow speed deal is from a bent wheel or out of round tire.

Tiger
12-12-2006, 09:39 AM
I suspect your lower control arm bushings are shot too... typical... so if you are doing upper control arms. you might as well do the lower control arms too.

sirius_GTO
12-12-2006, 02:29 PM
ahhh you're shitting me...

what are symptoms of lower control arm failure? I don't have the money to replace all of these things. :*

I've ordered the Upper control arms with 750i bushings and the flennor tie rods. I guess I'll see if I need the lower control arms too

632 Regal
12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
LOL the control arms generally last 2x as long as the thrust arm bushings...
ahhh you're shitting me...

what are symptoms of lower control arm failure? I don't have the money to replace all of these things. :*

I've ordered the Upper control arms with 750i bushings and the flennor tie rods. I guess I'll see if I need the lower control arms too

sirius_GTO
12-12-2006, 10:51 PM
So you're saying that I don't need to replace my lower control arms? sorry if I misunderstood.

632 Regal
12-13-2006, 03:28 AM
the possibility is less
So you're saying that I don't need to replace my lower control arms? sorry if I misunderstood.

BillionPa
12-13-2006, 03:47 AM
could be a wheel bearing too, the amount of play in your front end is way out of spec though.