PDA

View Full Version : Buying a newer BMW 540i

sirius_GTO
12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, right now, I have a 525i that im selling and I'm looking for a 540i in the future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-5-Series-540I-ONE-OWNER-TX-CAR-CLEAN-MUST-SEE-SMOKE-FREE_W0QQitemZ330061358454QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6008Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will I find the same reliability in these 540i's as I will in my old 525i? I've gotten 245,000 trouble free miles from my 525i and I would expect the same out of these cars.

Info anyone? Thank you!

acidfire52
12-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Cannot say much about the reliability.. but very nice machine.

I would hazard a guess the driveline would be about the same as an E34 540i

Does have more bells and whistles to go out though.

sirius_GTO
12-11-2006, 04:21 PM
well. I'm either going to get another 1997-2001 525i or 540i

they are similar prices. I just want the V8 because I've never had one before, but I wouldn't if the reliability wasn't the same.

thanks

more advice appreciated.

Jr ///M5
12-11-2006, 04:41 PM
The reliability isn't the same. The V8's are notorious for cooling system problems where the inline 6er's do not experience the early failures of broken radiator necks, thermostats, water pumps and the like. I think the V8's run hotter and spin up faster, stressing the system.

There were other problems besides the cooling system, like the fan blower resistor, cam sensors, abs modules, wear in the door seals by the latch, just to name a few. But by 2001, most of these problems were sorted by then. My advise would be to get a 2001-2002 model 525 if you're really wanting reliability. My wife now has over 110,000 miles on hers and besides the regular maintenance costs for inspections, the fan blower resistor was the only thing that crapped out, oh yeah, the chincie cup holders also broke.

We've went through 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of wiper blades, a fuel filter, 2 sets of spark plugs, 3 air filters, 3 sets of cabin filters, 18 oil changes with filters, a set of cupholders, a set of fan belts and a set of door seals. The transmission has "lifetime fluid" and I'm debating if the cost of a new tranny will offset the cost of trying to change the fluid which will run about $350 each change. I'm thinking of going for the life of the tranny and see how many miles I'll get out of it.

Hope this helps.
JR

E34 530
12-11-2006, 04:48 PM
The front suspension of the e39 is also a weak point, even more so than the e34.

Hypr5
12-11-2006, 04:55 PM
i made the jump from e34 525 to e39 540... reliability isn't as good... and the front suspension is a weak point, but not worse than the e34.. in fact, not even nearly as bad as the e34.

it'll cost a bit more to fix and work on because the workspace is tight, but it's fun. :D

sirius_GTO
12-11-2006, 04:58 PM
The reliability isn't the same. The V8's are notorious for cooling system problems where the inline 6er's do not experience the early failures of broken radiator necks, thermostats, water pumps and the like. I think the V8's run hotter and spin up faster, stressing the system.

There were other problems besides the cooling system, like the fan blower resistor, cam sensors, abs modules, wear in the door seals by the latch, just to name a few. But by 2001, most of these problems were sorted by then. My advise would be to get a 2001-2002 model 525 if you're really wanting reliability. My wife now has over 110,000 miles on hers and besides the regular maintenance costs for inspections, the fan blower resistor was the only thing that crapped out, oh yeah, the chincie cup holders also broke.

We've went through 3 sets of tires, 2 sets of wiper blades, a fuel filter, 2 sets of spark plugs, 3 air filters, 3 sets of cabin filters, 18 oil changes with filters, a set of cupholders, a set of fan belts and a set of door seals. The transmission has "lifetime fluid" and I'm debating if the cost of a new tranny will offset the cost of trying to change the fluid which will run about $350 each change. I'm thinking of going for the life of the tranny and see how many miles I'll get out of it.

Hope this helps.
JR

It seems like the added benefits of getting a 540i (the extra hp and better handling) isn't worth the higher risk of maintenance issues. I really like reliability. it is my biggest factors when getting another car.

So it seems like I'm going to be going the 525i route.

Now what is the difference between the 525i and the 530i? Thanks your information did help.

Hieu

Hypr5
12-11-2006, 05:02 PM
It seems like the added benefits of getting a 540i (the extra hp and better handling) isn't worth the higher risk of maintenance issues. I really like reliability. it is my biggest factors when getting another car.

So it seems like I'm going to be going the 525i route.

Now what is the difference between the 525i and the 530i? Thanks your information did help.

Hieu

The 540 does NOT handle better than the smaller engine 5s, it's not as good. Not to mention, the rack and pinion in the 525 / 530 feels a LOT better.

Reliability isn't as bad as everybody makes it sound, but it certainly isn't as good as a 525/530... The power, however - is a BIG difference, not just a little.

The 530 / 525 / 528 are all basically the same, but the 530 has more power and cost more usually. All great for reliability.

525s usually come with less options (but not always the case) than the 530 and the power difference is about 35hp. It's definately noticeable, though.

rickm
12-11-2006, 05:23 PM
How is space in the E39s? The trunks seem much smaller, the interiors marginally so.

Hypr5
12-11-2006, 05:39 PM
How is space in the E39s? The trunks seem much smaller, the interiors marginally so.

Interior space is very similar.. it FEELS wider, but really isn't. Back seat leg room is near identical as far as I can tell. The trunk IS a lot smaller. It's mainly because the battery is back there and the location of the cd changer... and to top it all off, the trunk lid has a smaller opening.

Jr ///M5
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
The 530 used to be a V8 in E34 days, now it's a big six, and yes the power is noticeable, but it also comes with a cost. Fuel consumption is one that comes to mind. Our '01 525 will consistantly get 27-29 on the highway depending on the wind direction, keep in mind this is the Midwest, terra firma is relatively flat with just slight elevation changes...no hills. The 530 won't do quite as well with fuel, maybe just because of the fact it will move out with authority with just a touch of the go pedal. The 525 is no slouch, but it is more conservative. The "steptronic shift" will help overcome some of the need to have 3 pedals in the floor, and the self leveling Xenon lights are the only way to go, what a difference it makes driving at night.

When shopping the E39 variety, the "Sport Package" will entice you with 17" wheels and different options here and there depending on how it's loaded up.

If you're in a cold climate, you'll want to spring for the model with the Cold Weather Package, the heated seats are nice, and the 530 comes with a heated steering wheel.

If you're wanting a more conservative model, the 525 would be the choice, with 16" wheels, it rides beautifully, and replacing tires won't send you to the poor house. There were 3 different option packages for the 01-03 model year with the 530i coming in with still a few more options that weren't available for the 525i. A couple worth mentioning is the automatic rear shade that goes up with the touch of a button and park distance control. There were also two different types of "On Board Computers" used on the cars. One is a basic type and the other is the high line variety that has the same functions as the E34.

I would look hard at a 530i with the Sport Package, and compare it with the 525i and see if the cost difference between the two models was worth it. In my book, the performance is worth it, but I chose the 525i for my wife as she does 99% of the driving in that car.

I think you would be happy with either model, and part of the fun in shopping for one is arming yourself with all the information you can find.

Good Luck!
JR

bigtisas
12-11-2006, 06:32 PM
How are the reliability and servicablility for E39 as compare to E34?

sirius_GTO
12-11-2006, 07:10 PM
The 530 used to be a V8 in E34 days, now it's a big six, and yes the power is noticeable, but it also comes with a cost. Fuel consumption is one that comes to mind. Our '01 525 will consistantly get 27-29 on the highway depending on the wind direction, keep in mind this is the Midwest, terra firma is relatively flat with just slight elevation changes...no hills. The 530 won't do quite as well with fuel, maybe just because of the fact it will move out with authority with just a touch of the go pedal. The 525 is no slouch, but it is more conservative. The "steptronic shift" will help overcome some of the need to have 3 pedals in the floor, and the self leveling Xenon lights are the only way to go, what a difference it makes driving at night.

When shopping the E39 variety, the "Sport Package" will entice you with 17" wheels and different options here and there depending on how it's loaded up.

If you're in a cold climate, you'll want to spring for the model with the Cold Weather Package, the heated seats are nice, and the 530 comes with a heated steering wheel.

If you're wanting a more conservative model, the 525 would be the choice, with 16" wheels, it rides beautifully, and replacing tires won't send you to the poor house. There were 3 different option packages for the 01-03 model year with the 530i coming in with still a few more options that weren't available for the 525i. A couple worth mentioning is the automatic rear shade that goes up with the touch of a button and park distance control. There were also two different types of "On Board Computers" used on the cars. One is a basic type and the other is the high line variety that has the same functions as the E34.

I would look hard at a 530i with the Sport Package, and compare it with the 525i and see if the cost difference between the two models was worth it. In my book, the performance is worth it, but I chose the 525i for my wife as she does 99% of the driving in that car.

I think you would be happy with either model, and part of the fun in shopping for one is arming yourself with all the information you can find.

Good Luck!
JR

Very informative post. Thank you very much! I've just found out the 540i's get like 14 mpg in the city. I think thats too low for my tastes. Right now, I'm really really leaning towards the 525i or the 530i. Thanks!

Hypr5
12-11-2006, 08:26 PM
How are the reliability and servicablility for E39 as compare to E34?
you could almost say servicability and e39 don't go in the same sentence.
Reliability isn't bad, though.

Hypr5
12-11-2006, 08:30 PM
The 1mpg difference between 530 and 525i is negligeable.
And if you get the 530i manual, it actually gets BETTER gas mileage than a 525i manual.

There was a discussion about this a while back on bimmerforums I think. Some thought it was maybe because the larger engine has to strain less to get the car moving, but who knows.

Russell
12-11-2006, 08:38 PM
e39 530i is the sweet spot per Bimmer mag. I see a 2003 530i sport automatic to go with my e34.

sirius_GTO
12-11-2006, 09:59 PM
The other car I'm deciding to get besides the 525i is the Audi S4. 2001 and above. What do you guys think? 525i or the S4?

dennyg
12-12-2006, 12:07 AM
I have a 525 sport and just bought the 89 E34......I wish I had the extra thirty horses of the 530. The E39 has traction control and low speed quickness that is not there in the E34. I bought the second car cause I loved my 525. Maybe if I had a five speed in the older car it would compare better but almost twenty years of improvements does show in the newer car. Although I had thrust bushings changed under warranty I don't see the suspension as anything but great!

Hypr5
12-12-2006, 01:26 AM
The other car I'm deciding to get besides the 525i is the Audi S4. 2001 and above. What do you guys think? 525i or the S4?

The s4 will be a better winter car and definately have more power, however it will be a little bit smaller and reliability even less than that of a 540.

sirius_GTO
12-12-2006, 03:08 AM
that's the same way I've had it put to me...

seems like they're not too reliable. They don't look as good either. So... I'm not sure. It seems like it was once an option for you as well? What made you change your mind?

Paul in NZ
12-12-2006, 03:12 AM
there was a recent thread about this i think...audi vs bmw 5er