PDA

View Full Version : winter cold start problem

aviatorb747
12-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Keywords: winter starting problem, water in fuel, cold start, hesitation, difficult cold start, car won't start in freezing weather

One winter morning my 1993 535iT refused to start. Cranked and cranked but no start. Until then it run and started perfect regardless of temperature. I was in a process of moving, no time, so I had it towed to the shop. New fuel pump and 2 mornings later same thing. Back into the shop, car warmed up and started. Mechanic added isopropynol fuel antifreeze, I topped the tank. 2 days later - same thing. No go. I asked mechanic ( who at this point blames computer, ...LOL ) to warm car up in the shop and figured I have to fix it myself. Car again started fine after being in the shop for 2 hours. On the way home car run fine except at full throttle it almost died, puffed and smoked for 20 seconds, then settled at perfect idle. Fuel filter was only 3 months old but after driving to my garage i changed it anyway and car runs and starts PERFECT since.
Turns out because most BMWs have their fuel filters suspended low, water, which is heavier than gas tends to accumulate and stay there. If temperature drops well below freezing it will freeze and clog fuel system. Fuel antifreeze will NOT help if there is a lot of moisture there. If your car refuses to start on a cold morning change fuel filter or at least carefully warm it up. Also add some fuel line antifreeze BEFORE it gets cold and keep your tank full to avoid condensation.

Another rough running problem: my other car, 1990 300ZX TT would run a little rough about once a week and then get back to normal. Tune up did not help. Small problem, but after a while it became more frequent. Not too rough, just a little worse than normal, went up from once to couple of times a week. Then my climate control started acting up. I was puzzled. One night I got going , turn lights on and all of a sudden engine goes rough, dash goes dim, radio turns off and there is squealing from under the hood. I went back home.
My alternator was dying a slow death.
I measured voltage - it was 12V, unstable ( should be about 14) . Alternator belt was slipping. My alternator was dragging. I bought a rebuilt unit from Eagle Electric and new belt from the nissan dealer

http://stores.ebay.com/EAGLE-ELECTRIC - highly reccomended !!!!!

and car runs like new. Weak alternator caused all of those problems.

Jack
Toronto, Ontario
Thompson, Manitoba

aviatorb747@hotmail.com

schnell944
12-11-2006, 11:54 AM
thanks! definately good advice for the cold months ahead.