PDA

View Full Version : 535i upgrade advice anyone?

///Sniper535
12-10-2006, 11:27 PM
I simply want more power from my 535. The way things look, it seems that the chip is my best bet for power. What's the best chip to buy?

Will the bav. autosport power flow intake do any justice? (probably not, right?)

I've been interested in angel eyes for a while but i just dont know if they will look right on my car but ive seen quite a few people with them on their E34s.

I have an auto tranny, that's stopping me from wanting a turbo, but how can I achieve about 250hp?

gale
12-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Yours most likely has a 3.91 diff. Going to a 4.27 which was stock in 91-93 535ia's would be a simple & relatively inexpensive way to improve performance. I've been happy with Mark's EAT chip, as have many others on this board.

Qube
12-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Interspersed answers.

I simply want more power from my 535. The way things look, it seems that the chip is my best bet for power. What's the best chip to buy?

Ultrachip.

Will the bav. autosport power flow intake do any justice? (probably not, right?)

You want performance not just sound, right? Then no.

I've been interested in angel eyes for a while but i just dont know if they will look right on my car but ive seen quite a few people with them on their E34s.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22587&highlight=depo+halo&highlight=depo+halo
LOTS of resources. Use both keywords (halo, angel)

I have an auto tranny, that's stopping me from wanting a turbo, but how can I achieve about 250hp?

Nary without forced induction.

angrypancake
12-11-2006, 08:42 AM
don't do angel eyes

EAT Ultrachip is your best bet

250HP from a NA m30 is damn near impossible and if it is it will cost you about 4x what you paid for your car.

///Sniper535
12-11-2006, 09:22 AM
I see the EAT chips link on the top of the site. But i see 3 different ones for the M30. Which is the right one to use?

BigKriss
12-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah, what he said.

Yours most likely has a 3.91 diff. Going to a 4.27 which was stock in 91-93 535ia's would be a simple & relatively inexpensive way to improve performance. I've been happy with Mark's EAT chip, as have many others on this board.

brosher
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Turbo or 540 :D

///M-Power 3\\\
12-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Don't listen to the naysayers, a chip, intake, and exhaust will get you there, and if you really want to have some fun a set of headers and a mild cam will make a huge difference. Our project '72 Bavaria has a 3.0 M30, with an alpina cam, dual webers, Crappy Gelber header and 9.0:1 CR pistons (yes, those were an upgrade) and its making about 225hp. An mild 3.5 with similar upgrades (not the pistons but a cam/header setup) will give a a good 270hp and give most V8's a run for the money. Or I can always hook you up with a 745i turbo setup. If you run stock boost w/o altering the wastegate (7psi)
you will have a 300 hp M30 that won't kill the auto too fast. The main flaw with the auto in these cars is the front clutch pack staying pressurized when the car is in park and neutral, not their inability to handle power. Remember 745i Turbos and older V12 750i's all use variant of the 4hp-22 or 22/24

Qube
12-11-2006, 11:50 AM
... "a chip, intake, and exhaust will get you there" but where?

3.5 L M30B35 I6
9.0:1 compression ratio
208 hp @ 5700 rpm
225 ft·lbf torque @ 4000 rpm

So with an intake, exhaust and chip you're going to pull 42 hp out? Not to mention the fact that his car (and mine) made 208 hp in it's prime which was 17 years ago!

When ///Sniper535 means intake, I doubt he means port polished plus the whole nine yards. No off the shelf intake/exhaust/chip combo is going to get that car up to 250 hp NA. Take it as a challenge :)

Barry
12-11-2006, 12:07 PM
:) :) Damn!!
Thanks guys!Im running bigger tyres and wheels of the e39 and my gearing is very tall..
The manual diff will solve this methinks!!
And I have one spare to fit..mmmmm:D :D

BMWCCA1
12-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks guys! I'm running bigger tyres and wheels of the e39Judging from the RHD and your spelling of "tyres", you're not in the U.S. or Canada so you might want to confirm with Mark which chip (if any) he has will work in your ECU. He's easy to work with. Use the Email link (mailto:mark@dsylva-tech.ca).

And, for the hell of it, are you running hub-centric rings with those E39 wheels? Just checking for your own good.

puppypilgrim
12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Barry, if you go back close to the OEM tires (+1 max), you will reduce the unsprung weight at all four corner and you will feel the car recover its nimbleness. Going to a shorter differential is a very safe way to improve the car's performance for city driving. I seriously doubt you can achieve 250hp NA without rebuilding the engine but I am not god so I don't know for sure.

Either way, your best upgrade if you want more power is to reduce your unsprung weight, change your diff. and chip it. The chip alone will give you noticeable increased torque in the midrange. Exhaust, headers, wilder cams all cost a lot more money (more than what your car is worth). If you wish significantly more power, then you should trade in your 535i for a 540i/6speed. This IMHO, is the most significant upgrade you can make.

Denton
12-11-2006, 12:46 PM
I see the EAT chips link on the top of the site. But i see 3 different ones for the M30. Which is the right one to use?

Holy crap! Beautiful wheels! Any chance you want to sell them?

BillionPa
12-11-2006, 01:56 PM
you could get a little turbo with low boost and little lag, run megasquirt with a proper tune, and do a full tuneup on the ignition and fuel delivery systems. you could even invest in a performance cylinder head with surface turbulence valves and lightweight high strength parts. it will flow air better when there is no boost, and hold up for a significantly longer time, being all new and all.

i went the reverse approach, instead of increasing the power to weight ratio by adding more power, i chose to reduce the weight. it was pretty much free, and is rather noticable in acceleration and handling. braking is also easier. but then again, its rather messy and is NOT the option if you want a back seat.. or aircon.

///M-Power 3\\\
12-11-2006, 06:48 PM

or you could buy my turbo setup, put a couple hundred more into an FMU and a less restrictive exhaust and be happy beating up on V8's ;)

///Sniper535
12-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Holy crap! Beautiful wheels! Any chance you want to sell them?

Are you serious?

Denton
12-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Are you serious?

Ehh, I'm looking around. :) I love the old-school BBS stuff. But the budget got a lot tighter now.

///Sniper535
12-11-2006, 08:10 PM
Ehh, I'm looking around. :) I love the old-school BBS stuff. But the budget got a lot tighter now.

If you look at my thread about TIRES, you see that im in the market for new rims. So if you really like them i could sell them to you.

Denton
12-11-2006, 08:20 PM
If you look at my thread about TIRES, you see that im in the market for new rims. So if you really like them i could sell them to you.

Haha, damn! I even replied in that thread...it's exam time here at IU and I haven't had much sleep! :(

They'd make a nice wall ornament, or a coffee table with a glass case. No, I'm not joking either.

Barry
12-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Ive chatted to Mark on numerous occasions,given him all the dope on my ecu,part numbers on the chips inside the ecu,etc etc etc..and simply never heard from him again.
Ive now bought a MAP ECU from Peter in NZ for my car..

BTW,Sniper 535 was looking for more power for his car..