PDA

View Full Version : Overheating... think its the water pump or head gasket... help!

dogman
04-19-2004, 10:54 PM
I was waiting outside my condo for friend and the temp shot up from the first bar to the red zone in less than 10 secs. I then parked it and checked the fluids. Oil ok. Water a bit low but not even that hot. I left it and came back and started it.... it took about 1 liter of water and was sounding good so i tried to drive. About 50 meters and teh temp was up at half way so i stopped. Any advice.. could it be the water pump or gasket... it looked as though there was a small bit of oil under my car which i have never had before. BMW E34 M20
Thanks for your help Dan

ryan roopnarine
04-19-2004, 11:22 PM
sounds like its your water pump, as you can't drive without overheating, which suggests that no water is being circulated IMHO.

I was waiting outside my condo for friend and the temp shot up from the first bar to the red zone in less than 10 secs. I then parked it and checked the fluids. Oil ok. Water a bit low but not even that hot. I left it and came back and started it.... it took about 1 liter of water and was sounding good so i tried to drive. About 50 meters and teh temp was up at half way so i stopped. Any advice.. could it be the water pump or gasket... it looked as though there was a small bit of oil under my car which i have never had before. BMW E34 M20
Thanks for your help Dan

632 Regal
04-19-2004, 11:44 PM
yep water pump, replace the pump, thermostat thermo housing and all the hoses which should have been replaced a long time ago...not a honda here mann.

GS535i
04-20-2004, 07:01 AM
A stuck thermostat pellet can do that, and the cap on the expansion tank is sometimes 'implicated'. Disconnect the pump belt and a discharge side hose, or thermostat housing - and spin the pulley: it should be obvious if the pump is still functional.