PDA

View Full Version : Am I as blind as my car?

Eric540i
12-10-2006, 10:30 AM
My dip/low beams don't work.

I resoldered the relays and other bits in the LKM but to no avail.
I even bought a used LKM (of admittedly unknown condition) and also resoldered all its bits.

The only difference is that now my Check Control matrix is admitting to/recognising a "Dip Beam" error.

I've checked the obvious - both bulbs - and they're fine. I even substituted new ones to make sure. In any case there's no power getting to them.

With my beams (intentionally) off, fuses 10 and 11 (for left and right dip-beams) return a reading that bizarrely vascillates between 11.4 and 11.6 volts. I recall reading that 9.6 volts should be the normal value.
With my beams (supposedly) on, I get a stable 11.97 volts.

Something else that is weird: the voltages were measured at the fuses' sockets (the fuses were removed). However when I reinserted the fuses (I used 3 different types, all rated at 7.5 amps) and attempted to get a voltage reading from the 'terminals' on fuses' tops I got 0 volts.

I feel stupid here. :(
How can I lose all my power by simply inserting a fuse? Other live fuses give me readings.

Am I merely dealing with 2 Kaputt LKMs or can anyone see something that I've missed?

SnakeyesTx
12-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Incomplete circuit? When you plug the fuse in are you putting your tester across both leads of the fuse or just one side and grounding to the body? If you haven't done the latter, try it, and if you get a reading, its possible you have a loose or broken ground somewhere. Milkboot went through a slightly different lighting issue, and yesterday we were playing around with that bundle of wires that look like light brown extension cords on the right side fender (right if you're facing the windshield.. the US driver's side) and one of the ground stud nuts were loose. Tightened it, and it appears all is well again.

Eric540i
12-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I tested both sides of the fuse and I grounded on the body using the location you refer to. The grounding was good because other live fuses gave me affirmative readings.
Out of interest what kind of lighting issue was affected by the loose nuts?

SnakeyesTx
12-10-2006, 12:32 PM
His driver's side low beam was dimmer than the passenger side, the fog light on the driver's side would work intermittently and throw the F/Fog Light warning on the dash, and when he used the driver's side turn signal, the low beam headlight would flash by dimming with the turn signal pulse.

Eric540i
12-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Anyone?