PDA

View Full Version : Torque Converter Clutch Error - Trans Program

Brazilianbimmer
12-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I am getting error 36 "Torque Converter Clutch" from the Peake Reader. The transmission is going into LIMP mode as soon as I turn the engine on.
I don't even have a chance to take it out of PARK.

I replaced the TCC Solenoid because it was out of spec. resistance by about 1 ohm. It was the only thing I could find that was wrong, but it did not do the trick.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this error? Is there any way for the computer to detect an actual mechanical fault in the torque converter? (Which, by the way, I had rebuilt about 1K miles ago)
I know of no sensors in or near the torque converter, does anyone out there?

BlueM60
12-10-2006, 01:03 PM
The only way the EGS knows there is a torqe converter problem is because it measures the speed from the engine's crank shaft and the input shaft speed. With the torque converter locked, these should be the same, indicating no slippage. Normally tho, this wont cause the trans to go into LIMP mode, it will just set a fault. Sounds like you may have other issues, unless theres a mjor problem with the converter rebuild.

-Ben

Brazilianbimmer
12-10-2006, 04:34 PM
The only way the EGS knows there is a torqe converter problem is because it measures the speed from the engine's crank shaft and the input shaft speed. With the torque converter locked, these should be the same, indicating no slippage. Normally tho, this wont cause the trans to go into LIMP mode, it will just set a fault. Sounds like you may have other issues, unless theres a mjor problem with the converter rebuild.

-Ben

This issue is coming up with the car in PARK. The input shaft should not be turning at all, correct?

BlueM60
12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
Yes, thats correct. Sounds like you must have other issues with the tranny. Have you taken it back to where the converter was rebuilt?

-Ben

Brazilianbimmer
12-11-2006, 05:09 AM
Unfortunately I had to ship the converter by air to the shop that did the rebuild. I am in the middle of Brazil and there is only one reputable TC shop in the country. My question is this? How does the computer know there is a TCC error? If the car is in PARK, it must be an electrical signal somewhere. The Torque converter has no sensors in it. Is it the TCU that is bad? I sure hope not, that is one expensive part down here!!!

Diego

Rus
12-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fluid pump inside the transmission operates at all times regardless of gear selection. So would that not require the input shaft to rotate even in park?

93 525 Paul
12-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the fluid pump inside the transmission operates at all times regardless of gear selection. So would that not require the input shaft to rotate even in park?

The input shaft doesn't drive the pump. The pump is driven off the TC housing which spins with the crankshaft.

shogun
12-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Maybe you email Kirt Koeller at
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/
They also have on their website a transmission tech forum, might help too.

Brazilianbimmer
12-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Best tip I've heard all day. I will give that a try. Thanks

Brazilianbimmer
12-16-2006, 06:15 AM
Well, just in case anyone is still listening. The car is running OK again.
I did not get a hold of Kirt, but I did talk to Jurgen at Jaggi imports.
The interesting thing is that he gave me a possible solution and when I went to try it out, the car was out of limp mode all by itself. I do not know if this was because the TCM took a while to recognize the previous fix or because we are talking about a loose wire somewhere. I guess time will tell. After 3 moths of pulling my hair, I am not complaining!