PDA

View Full Version : Duralast battery still recomended

Russell
12-09-2006, 06:05 PM
In the past, per archives, Autozone Duralast batteries (with vent) have been highly recomended for our e-34s with the battery under the rear seat. Still the case or are there better options? My BMW battery is 6 years old and I am getting paranoid. TIA

Tiger
12-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes... outstanding warranty... good battery life and awesome price!

Anton CH.
12-09-2006, 06:13 PM
I really like my Optima: sealed unit, superior performance, and light.

MPD47
12-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Optima, though calling them light is hysterical. Maybe a few pounds lighter than your typical pep boys battery but still heavy as hell. Great battery though (despite having two leak).

Granted, I'm an Oddessy user in my other car so that might explain my bias.

Alexlind123
12-09-2006, 08:17 PM
Yea duralasts are good. I bought one and my problems have been cured. Well, my car's problems, not my own...

Boone.Msi
12-09-2006, 08:36 PM
I had an optima red top in my last car. Got in an accident where the whole front of the engine was smashed along with the battery, i got to pull my keys out of the car and what do you even though the battery was smashed everything still turned on.

Its funny, my cars totaled my hand is broken and then black Dahlia murder(heavy metal band) starts playing out of my car:D .

i recomend optima, its a beast of a batter obviously.

Chris'91'525i
12-09-2006, 08:43 PM
In the past, per archives, Autozone Duralast batteries (with vent) have been highly recomended for our e-34s with the battery under the rear seat. Still the case or are there better options? My BMW battery is 6 years old and I am getting paranoid. TIA

The Interstate battery in my car is going on 9 years old, and shows no sign of weakness.
Of course it will probably die very soon now for saying this :D
Seriously, I have had very good luck with this brand of battery over the years in many different cars.

Qube
12-09-2006, 09:16 PM
How about some pricing data as well? This winter, she's starting to complain about the battery :)

Russell
12-09-2006, 09:54 PM
$59.99 Duralast 49-DL at Autozone.

BillionPa
12-09-2006, 10:16 PM
interstate was OEM for BMW, very very good batteries.

im currently running a red top with the seat taken out, as the optima battery profile is too tall.

Anton CH.
12-09-2006, 10:23 PM

im currently running a red top with the seat taken out, as the optima battery profile is too tall.

You bought the wrong Optima, I can't see how one can stand the road noise with the seat out.

Bill R.
12-09-2006, 10:24 PM
best bang for the buck, they also come with a little card on them now that entitles you to free jumps should the battery every fail. I put more duralast's in than any other battery and have no complaints at all from customers about them. If you have a commecial account they sell you a commercial version of the same battery for 10 less than the regular duralast.

$59.99 Duralast 49-DL at Autozone.

Bill R.
12-09-2006, 10:26 PM

ryan roopnarine
12-09-2006, 10:27 PM
i know that the last battery that came out of my car was a douglas, and the one before it was likely the factory unit.

Qsilver7
12-10-2006, 02:40 AM
i know that the last battery that came out of my car was a douglas, and the one before it was likely the factory unit.
the years the e34 was being produced in Germany...VARTA supplied the batteries to BMW AG (Germany) which were some of the best darn batteries...with some lasting up to 10 years...and back then and up to recent developments...Douglas (as others stated) held the North American contract to supply BMW labeled batteries to BMW dealerships here...and within the last year or so...Excide purchased Douglas Battery. That's why when you go to Batteries Plus now (which sold the Douglas battery to the regular market)...they now sell the "white cased" Werker 95R battery which looks more like the BMW lableled battery...just the lables are different. ;)

I personally have used the Duralast 49 DL in the last 3 batteries I've purchased for a 91 735iL, 95 525iT, and 97 740iL...and I've been very satisfied with its performance.

BTW, the Duralast battery is mfg'd by Johnson Controls...which also manufactures the Interstate MTP-93 and AutoCraft Titanium 49-1 (Advance Auto)...all 3 of these batteries have basically the same specs and cost about the same. The Werker 95R I believe runs between $89-$115.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_133_full.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/7/web/739000-739999/739005_134_full.jpg

SnakeyesTx
12-10-2006, 03:13 AM
I've had Duralast, and I've had Super-Start (from O'reilly's). They're both reliable for at least 4 years but there are some fluke batteries out there. Every SINGLE time I tried to warranty out my battery for my Cadillac, it was a complete nightmare, and I've even had a manager "relieved from his post" at the same store TWICE for their completely asinine method of dodging replacements. My Dad's had the same problem three times with the Duralast in his Camaro as well.

Not that I'm partial to O'reilly's, but I used to work there and management didn't make a fuss over battery warranties. When I used to get a questionable one, I went ahead and replaced it for whoever brought it in. Ok, you bring a questionable battery, the tester usually takes about 20-30 minutes to recharge and load test your battery, making you have to sit and wait. If you haven't lost your patience yet, you get told that it passed even though it stinks of battery acid fumes from the recharge. Now you're probably pissed. I rule out the alternator because I have a tester for that too and your alt passed with flying colors. At the zone they'll give you your battery back and b/s you about how they "can't" warranty it out because it took a charge. Me? I'd tell the guy "Well, no sense in making you wonder." and just get them a new one. 9.9 out of 10 people will do that for their Super-start batteries.

Warranties are about the same, 750 CCA, twin handles, 72 month warranty and a price-tag of about 70 bucks. (I just replaced mine about two weeks ago) If it craps out in 2 months, or 2 years, I know I don't have to stand in line forever at the Zone, and hear their jackass manager who knows less about a car than I do tell me what he "can't" do, and be on my way.

Super-Start ftw there :D

Paul in NZ
12-10-2006, 03:27 AM
fwiw i have put a HELLA battery in mine.None of the make you guys mention are available here except exide