Fetch
12-08-2006, 05:06 PM
2 mil:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020312-5.htm

:)

Fetch
12-08-2006, 05:09 PM
lol wtf is up with 8 deer collisions

Million miles in the midwest/Wisconsin, that sounds like a pretty possible average if you ask me lol

Digita1 Ecstasy
12-08-2006, 05:12 PM
maybe, if your drunk half the time. I could understand 1 or 4

but 8? Thats a murderous Saab.

Dave M
12-08-2006, 05:32 PM
maybe, if your drunk half the time. I could understand 1 or 4

but 8? Thats a murderous Saab.

Thunder Bay (North of MN). Stone cold sober, 'knicked' one in my winter beater on tuesday, ended up in the ditch, walked to work (5-min). Sunday evening I saw 11 ON the road. I've plugged two others working in forestry :)

I'm a believer.

Blitzkrieg Bob
12-08-2006, 05:50 PM
Thunder Bay (North of MN). Stone cold sober, 'knicked' one in my winter beater on tuesday, ended up in the ditch, walked to work (5-min). Sunday evening I saw 11 ON the road. I've plugged two others working in forestry :)

I'm a believer.

Little dutch oven cooking and we've got a meal.

Dave M
12-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Little dutch oven cooking and we've got a meal.

No joke, our freezer is full of moose and deer, even a little bear (winnie) ;)

guinness
12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Dave M, you don't work for Shuniah Forestry do you?

Dave M
12-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Dave M, you don't work for Shuniah Forestry do you?

Do you mean Shuniah forest Products? If so, no............BUT, I do know of them and manage a forest adjacent to one they might work on. I believe they operate in the area, including the Nipigon Forest. Are they primarily involved in timber harvesting?

Anyhow, I'm the area forester for the Lakehead Forest (surrounding Thunder Bay).

Very interested in your connnection? BTW, been to Wilmington, did a couple of bike races. Spent many a spring season training in Greenville SC, good times......

Dave

632 Regal
12-08-2006, 10:34 PM
I grew some tomatoes last summer...
Do you mean Shuniah forest Products? If so, no............BUT, I do know of them and manage a forest adjacent to one they might work on. I believe they operate in the area, including the Nipigon Forest. Are they primarily involved in timber harvesting?

Anyhow, I'm the area forester for the Lakehead Forest (surrounding Thunder Bay).

Very interested in your connnection? BTW, been to Wilmington, did a couple of bike races. Spent many a spring season training in Greenville SC, good times......

Dave

stilljester
12-08-2006, 10:47 PM
2 mil:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020312-5.htm

:)

I was going to post the same story - beat me too it. That sure is a lot of miles

BillionPa
12-08-2006, 10:51 PM
17 years in rural wisconsin over a million miles.... im surprised he didnt hit more deer!

Mr._Graybeard
12-09-2006, 01:39 AM
17 years in rural wisconsin over a million miles.... im surprised he didnt hit more deer!

Amen to that -- I've eluded two whitetails only to have them hit *me* in the quarter panels. And the cold weather ensures that they grow big up here.

I work in the newsroom of the Milwaukee newspaper, and I think ours was the original story on the Saab. And forgive the brag, but I think our guy Rick did a pretty good job:http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=538098

If I may promote the museum where the car is going, for those in Chicagoland looking for a road trip: OK, it's kinda dingy, but full of great cars, including the Kissels (a marque owned by Fatty Arbuckle and Amelia Earhart, among others), a nice collection of Nash-Healys and some real oddballs, including several Crosleys. The Kissel collection is excellent, with the kind of documentation that's worthy of a museum.

The town is also the longtime home of an OMC factory, so the museum has a bunch of vintage outboard boat motors (OMC is the company founded by Ole Evinrude, the Henry Ford of the outboard motor). And for some reason the local municipalities turned over a bunch of old fire engines from the 1920s.

The museum takes a couple hours to get through at a leisurely pace. Afterwards, the downtown is fun to explore, featuring Wisconsin's largest restaurant, the Mineshaft. There's also an old bank building that's been converted into a pool hall (The Bank Shot). Bring your own cue.

///M-Power 3\\\
12-09-2006, 01:49 AM
who's gonna be the first E34?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/06/saab.million.ap/index.html

How the HELL did a SAAB make a million miles. I used to work on them all the time and IMHO they are the WORST cars made. Period. My mothers geo is better. EVERY SAAB i have ever seen came in with multiple ridiculous problems and left with a huge invoice, even the low milage cars. They are the worst cars i have ever dealt with

Fetch
12-09-2006, 01:52 AM
I work in the newsroom of the Milwaukee newspaper, and I think ours was the original story on the Saab. And forgive the brag, but I think our guy Rick did a pretty good job

I really did enjoy that article better actually lol
Much more detail & information, and that's what I live for! :)

Fetch
12-09-2006, 01:55 AM
How the HELL did a SAAB make a million miles. I used to work on them all the time and IMHO they are the WORST cars made. Period. My mothers geo is better. EVERY SAAB i have ever seen came in with multiple ridiculous problems and left with a huge invoice, even the low milage cars. They are the worst cars i have ever dealt with

Both of the Saabs I vaguely know are 'high mileage' and don't cause problems.

:Shrug: :p

Antrieb
12-09-2006, 02:06 AM
You guys act as though that is an uncommon thing!

The world record for gas powered cars is currently held by a 1967 Volvo amazon @ 2.5 million and only 3 auto tranny rebuilds and 4 headgaskets... swedes definitely build great cars!

Diesel trucks (semis) are known to go a good 2 million b4 retiring but anything deisel is designed to a lot higher quality specs and much stronger to begin with than any car...

///M-Power 3\\\
12-09-2006, 02:10 AM

The world record for gas powered cars is currently held by a 1967 Volvo amazon @ 2.5 million and only 3 auto tranny rebuilds and 4 headgaskets... swedes definitely build great cars!

Diesel trucks (semis) are known to go a good 2 million b4 retiring but anything deisel is designed to a lot higher quality specs and much stronger to begin with than any car...

Am i missing something? Diesel?

92E34
12-09-2006, 02:20 AM
Those big rig engines are designed to go 800K miles before needing a ring job. But come on 1 million miles, There is a VW bug or Type 1 that made it to 1.4 million and the guy still uses it!

Mr._Graybeard
12-09-2006, 02:34 AM
I really did enjoy that article better actually lol
Much more detail & information, and that's what I live for! :)

Well, thanks for encouraging me, Fetch, as the Jagermeister is kicking in.

In addition to the glancing blows I've received from whitetails, I had a deer seriously alter my trip to the winter driving school at Steamboat Springs about 10 years ago.

<ahem>

There's a stretch of Interstate 43 in southern Wisconsin, near a popular concert/ski venue known as Alpine Valley. The hills are very glaciated, hardly mountainous but very steep with lots of blind spots. I was tooling along southwestward in my '87 325ic at about 75mph in the center lane. While I was cresting a hill, in my path -- invisible until I was about 20 feet in front of it -- was a yearling whitetail. It saw me and ducked.

I ran right over it. Running over a deer is unsettling.

I got the car onto the shoulder and walked around the front to inspect the damage. After a second I noticed that the oil cooler was spurting 15w-50 onto my jeans and shoes. At that point I concluded that I wasn't going to get out of the scenario without the help of a flatbed truck. A deputy arrived on the scene and took me to the local courthouse -- we never did find the deer.

So I flew to Steamboat the next day instead of driving; the car was fixed only to plow into a guardrail in the middle of an unexpected snowstorm three years later; and Stevie Ray Vaughn died in a helicopter crash after concluding a virtuoso performance at Alpine Valley.

OK, so Stevie Ray was killed way before I hit the deer. Did you know Stevie Ray and I were both born in 1954? I confess I was always a bigger Johnny Winter fan. "Rock n Roll Hootchie koo..."

angrypancake
12-09-2006, 02:34 AM
40,000 hours driving. sheesh thats more hours driving the car than miles most people drive their car! nowadays everyone leases for 25k then tosses it back. who has the highest mileage e34? Dave M, right? Dave how high are you these days

Dave M
12-09-2006, 02:46 AM
40,000 hours driving. sheesh thats more hours driving the car than miles most people drive their car! nowadays everyone leases for 25k then tosses it back. who has the highest mileage e34? Dave M, right? Dave how high are you these days

I'm at a modest 525,000km or 325,000 miles. However, it no longer experiences winter and I intend it to go to 1 mill kms :)

Dave M

ryan roopnarine
12-09-2006, 06:42 AM

volvo amazon? are you talking about a guy named irv? he has a 1967 volvo p1800 around the mileage you speak of. IIRC, he's had a bunch of gearboxes (i thought they were manual) but had only one engine rebuild at 600,000 miles. if he had so many HG replacements, it certainly takes a little of the luster off the accomplishment, as every time his story ends up in the media, the reveal some "additional" stuff he's had to do to keep that car running.

guinness
12-09-2006, 07:39 AM

Dave
My wife is from Thunder Bay and we go up as often as we can. I've probably seen your car as I think that T Bay has about 3 E34s.

Ross
12-09-2006, 08:23 AM
The '89 535 I recently bought shows 255k miles. The speedometer has been inop. for the past 4 years according to the seller who estimates total miles @ ~300k. This cars history also includes a deer strike in Wisconsin.
Once things thaw out a bit here (garage queens taking all the indoor space) the head gasket job will be completed and the speedo repaired. Perhaps this car will be a contender for a mil.?

BTW anyone traveling in SE Wisconsin ought to take some time to see the museum in Hartford mentioned in the article. It's the largest collection of Kissel cars that were originally manufactured there in Hartford.

Dave M
12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
My wife is from Thunder Bay and we go up as often as we can. I've probably seen your car as I think that T Bay has about 3 E34s.

Yep, pretty shy on bimmers. Not a very beautiful city either, but if you love the outdoors, there are few places like it.

guinness
12-09-2006, 10:09 AM
Yep, pretty shy on bimmers. Not a very beautiful city either, but if you love the outdoors, there are few places like it.
Depends on what part of town you're in, I like Port Arthur. My brother in law is the outdoorsman in the family (hunt,fish,camp) he went out last year with some friends and got 2 moose in a day, I couldn't believe the size of them when I got the pics.
Jim

Fetch
12-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Before I bought my E34, there was an E28 535 I looked at which had over 300,000 miles on it.....A part of me really wanted to buy it and use the massive chunk of left over cash to really bring it up to spec. :D
It ran fine, just needed a ton of little things.