PDA

View Full Version : valve cover breather hose: hard?

schnell944
12-08-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm removing the valve cover to start the valve adjustment on my M30 and have found that the breather hose seems to consist of hard plastic. it is held onto the valve cover with the usual metal screw clamp. when i went to pry it off the valve cover a bit the hose snapped off a bit at the base. is it supposed to be hard like this or is it because it is just so old? can I replace it with some regular rubber hose? thanks.

schnell944
12-08-2006, 10:24 AM
ok, so I figured out that it's supposed to be that way :\ I guess I'll have to see if the missing piece at the base is big enough to cause problems. It kind of stops a little after the big lip at the end of the hose where it connects to the valve cover

Rigmaster
12-08-2006, 10:25 AM
it's hard because it's old. New ones are much softer and more pliable.

You can use regular rubber hose in a pinch- but I'd just get a new one from BMA or your favorite parts place- shouldn't be too expensive and it'll probably last for another 200k.

Bret.

Alexlind123
12-08-2006, 08:25 PM
ok, so I figured out that it's supposed to be that way :\ I guess I'll have to see if the missing piece at the base is big enough to cause problems. It kind of stops a little after the big lip at the end of the hose where it connects to the valve cover

Lol! Its not supposed to be that way! Order a new one from BMAparts.com, it is supposed to be soft rubber.

Barry
12-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Besides,they crack,bypass air to the motor and performance and idle quality suffers..
Ive just done mine and I have a new car...