PDA

View Full Version : More Blower Problems

semiretired
12-08-2006, 08:55 AM
Alright, I changed the microfilter and ignored my urge to kill the person that designed such a wonderful setup. Ops checked and the mighty E34 is blowing strong.

Less than 24 hours after later, while driving along with the heat on full blast it cuts off completely. Nothing coming out on any power setting.

I recall if the resistor is defective, it will blow only on one speed, but what's the deal with "nothing"?

I'll hit the parts department for a new resistor this weekend, along with a new thermostat (car's been running cold).

What could be next?

:(

JD525IA
12-08-2006, 09:02 AM
I ended up having to put another blower in it.

How old is your blower? Mine was the original - 15 yrs old. The brushes were worn down to nothing.

Keep an eye out on ebay for a good used one or go to a junk yard for one.

ryan roopnarine
12-08-2006, 09:23 AM
ummm, have you checked the blower fuse in the main fusebox? mine seems to blow at the beginning winter and summer.

Jehu
12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
couldn't be a fuse if it will come back on and run all day then cut out and not run for some times a couple of days.... hope its the blower ,that's relatively simple to replace.. then again so is everything else involved in the climate control system.Except the heater core...but then that's manily just time consuming..

bsell
12-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Alright, I changed the microfilter and ignored my urge to kill the person that designed such a wonderful setup. Ops checked and the mighty E34 is blowing strong.

Less than 24 hours after later, while driving along with the heat on full blast it cuts off completely. Nothing coming out on any power setting.

I recall if the resistor is defective, it will blow only on one speed, but what's the deal with "nothing"?

I'll hit the parts department for a new resistor this weekend, along with a new thermostat (car's been running cold).

What could be next?

:(

I second the fuse check...

If the fuse is good, break out the test light and verify the blower motor is getting power. If it is and doesn't move, maybe the new-found freedom to move air made the fan work harder and burned up the brushes or windings.:(

If the fuse is solid, one has to wonder if you jiggled a connection loose while changing the filter. Retrace your filter changing steps looking for funky connections.

Or you might have a coincidental electrical parts breakage...

semiretired
12-08-2006, 07:49 PM
ummm, have you checked the blower fuse in the main fusebox? mine seems to blow at the beginning winter and summer.
Good call.

I just checked fuse 19 and the Sumbitch is melted

Where the fuse connects is all messed up too. It's charred.
Too darn cold and dark to mess with it tonight. I'll get a used toothbrush and clean it out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input.

SR

bsell
12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Good call.

I just checked fuse 19 and the Sumbitch is melted

Where the fuse connects is all messed up too. It's charred.
Too darn cold and dark to mess with it tonight. I'll get a used toothbrush and clean it out tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input.

SR

Let's see, a fuse is designed to burn through before any wiring or connectors melt or burn yet look at the mess in your fuse box...:(

I have seen that before with the correct amperage fuse installed. Makes you wonder about the accuracy of the fuse's rating/production tolerances.

I hope your fuse box is ok...