PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise when turning the steering wheel

The Melmaan
12-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Guys,
I'm hearing some strange noise when I turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. I raised the car up and I cannot find any problems with all of the bushings or suspension. I don't know if it is the power steering which is overly working on over extented turn, or is it possible that the belts are slipping at that point also. Has anybody had this kind of issue before?

Milkboot
12-07-2006, 11:45 PM
When i am full turn, left or right, i do hear a change in the pump, but i let it back like 1/16th o a turn and it goes away, i just always figurred i was turning it tooooo much

Fetch
12-07-2006, 11:52 PM
Sounds like the normal full lock noise to me, I try not to hit full lock, just seems bad.

The Melmaan
12-07-2006, 11:53 PM
The question is, is it bad or am I messing up something???

Fetch
12-08-2006, 01:00 AM
I would bet that you are fine if the noise only happens at full lock.

Personally, I don't hit the lock or hold against the lock when I am making a 'full lock' turn, just because the noise it makes sounds like something is being over stressed.

Buttt that's just me :)

BillionPa
12-08-2006, 02:25 AM
if the noise is a hissing sound, its leaking power steering fluid.

bsell
12-08-2006, 07:34 AM
Guys,
I'm hearing some strange noise when I turn the steering wheel all the way left or right. I raised the car up and I cannot find any problems with all of the bushings or suspension. I don't know if it is the power steering which is overly working on over extented turn, or is it possible that the belts are slipping at that point also. Has anybody had this kind of issue before?

If you are sure the belt is good to go, tight and grippy, then look into changing out the fluid. I have seen old fluid make the pump sound like it was on it's last legs, yet once the fluid was swapped out, she clammed right up like a new pump. All for the cost of a bottle of fluid!:)

Then again, you didn't really describe the noise. Is it a clunk, metal noise or hissing, fluidy, noise? If it's clunky, metal noise, look into all of your steering connections and rubber bushings. Something is worn out. Or did you just put on new wheels and tires?