PDA

View Full Version : difficulties starting when cold?

DABLACK
12-07-2006, 07:50 PM
of course its gotten cold latley and one morning last week the temp fell pretty good and the ride was being stubborn to start..but after a few quick tries it relented and ran great. after that no probs.

due to the arrival of cold weather and its friend winter,

is anybody getting or had probs starting their cars when cold and want to share some of your findings.

thanks

swenpro
12-07-2006, 08:00 PM
turns over a little more slowly, but still fires up

632 Regal
12-08-2006, 04:37 AM
use some nice 0w-30 or 40 synthetic oil, makes it seem like its summer spinning to start.

bsell
12-08-2006, 07:26 AM
of course its gotten cold latley and one morning last week the temp fell pretty good and the ride was being stubborn to start..but after a few quick tries it relented and ran great. after that no probs.

due to the arrival of cold weather and its friend winter,

is anybody getting or had probs starting their cars when cold and want to share some of your findings.

thanks

Dirty injectors causing bad spray pattern?

When the engine is cold, the misting quality of the injectors really comes into play. Gunk in the injector tip gets in the way of making a really fine mist which is needed to properly atomize the fuel in the cold conditions.

Run a tank of once-an-oil-change strength injector cleaner through it and see what happens. Make sure you spend some time at WOT to really flow the cleaner through the injectors.:D

DABLACK
12-08-2006, 11:08 AM
sorry bsell what is WOT?
my internet lingo is not so sharp;)

Thanks

Dirty injectors causing bad spray pattern?

When the engine is cold, the misting quality of the injectors really comes into play. Gunk in the injector tip gets in the way of making a really fine mist which is needed to properly atomize the fuel in the cold conditions.

Run a tank of once-an-oil-change strength injector cleaner through it and see what happens. Make sure you spend some time at WOT to really flow the cleaner through the injectors.:D

angrypancake
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Wide Open Throttle

Dave M
12-08-2006, 11:12 AM
sorry bsell what is WOT?
my internet lingo is not so sharp;)

Thanks

W= WIDE

O= OPEN

T= TWAT, oooops, I mean THROTTLE

:p

rickm
12-08-2006, 11:59 AM
aka "italian tuneup"

my 5 fired up this morning despite it being -12. opened the passenger door to put the kid in, reached over, inserted the key and cranked it. my neighbor, who was sitting a few feet away burning the starter up on his car, wasn't amused.

bsell
12-08-2006, 05:59 PM
aka "italian tuneup"

my 5 fired up this morning despite it being -12. opened the passenger door to put the kid in, reached over, inserted the key and cranked it. my neighbor, who was sitting a few feet away burning the starter up on his car, wasn't amused.

Learned it as a 'Porsche tune-up', as in people putter around with the old mechanical injection systems in the early 911's and clog up the intake/combustion chambers. So the mechanic gets into the car for the 'road test' and wrings the engine's neck a couple times, blowing all of that crap out of her lungs. Brings the car back to the parking spot and wala, the 'Porsche tune-up' is finished.

Of course this assumes all settings (spark plug gap, points gap, timing, valves, etc.) are square. There really is no substitute for some time spent with the throttle wide open and the engine in the upper third of it's rev range for cleaning out the upper end of the engine.:D

attack eagle
12-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Mine lopes hard enough to stall out when the engine is completely cold and I just turn the key.
I turn the key on, depress the accelerator to the floor once, release and it starts right up... after firing off once you don't need to do anything but turn the key until the next morning.

Karl
12-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Computer, sensors, and all are sensitive to voltage, so make sure your battery is in good shape and connections clean.

rickm
12-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Computer, sensors, and all are sensitive to voltage, so make sure your battery is in good shape and connections clean.

Also, if it's super cold I'll turn the headlights on for a bit to get the juice in the battery flowing. Worked in my dodge.

schnell944
12-09-2006, 11:23 AM
there was a whole discussion on click and clack about turning on the lights to get the battery to work. I can't really comment to its effectiveness, but I think they discounted its value as a myth.